Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I must have more holes in my head than I originally thought. I have just bought two Angus calves who will need to be bottle fed for several weeks! We've never done this before so it could get interesting! Has anyone here raised cattle before, specifically bottle feeding? I haven't seen them yet, we are going to pick them (well my hubby is) on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
A previous co-worker of mine raises sheep and he had a bottle-fed lamb that they named Monica (after Monica Lewinski - because of the way she guzzled the bottle :doh:) She was very, very people oriented and sweet!

Sounds like fun to me! I love calves! :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A previous co-worker of mine raises sheep and he had a bottle-fed lamb that they named Monica (after Monica Lewinski - because of the way she guzzled the bottle :doh:) She was very, very people oriented and sweet!

Sounds like fun to me! I love calves! :)
ROFL:rofl:

I can't wait to see them, I can just imagine how cute they are!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I probably don't even have to tell you this... but I will anyway... We want PICTURES when you get the babies! :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, we used to buy in and raise at least 3-5 four-day-old calves every year, and it was my job to feed 'em.

What do you want to know!??? You can get formula from farming shops, and it has the ratios you need and so forth on the pack. Or if you live anywhere near dairy farms, they usually have penicillin milk or whatever that can be bought cheap to feed calves...

Do you want to bottle feed or bucket feed? For years we never bottle fed (well, by 'bottle' it was bottle thing attached to the fence that I filled for them to drink from, cos screw trying to hold a bottle for the lil monsters!) so I had to teach them to drink from a bucket, which could take a week for some, or only a couple of sessions for others! It's messy as heck to teach them, especially the stubborn ones, but made for a much easier time once they got the idea cos then I'd just fill the trough and let 'em slurp it up! lol

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hey, so I must have more holes in my head than I originally thought. I have just bought two Angus calves who will need to be bottle fed for several weeks! We've never done this before so it could get interesting! Has anyone here raised cattle before, specifically bottle feeding? I haven't seen them yet, we are going to pick them (well my hubby is) on Friday.
Feel free to contact my teach Dr. Shapiro he is a expert dairy farmer If you need help with anything.
818-710-4254
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yeah, we use to bottle feed calves when I was growing up on our farm. We used 2 liter coke bottles to put the milk in and I think you buy the teets at a store that carries agricultural supplies. It's a pretty fun and very messy activity. :) Enjoy :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are awesome. I have been getting so worried about bringing them home. It is SO COLD right now, 25-30 below with the wind chill. 1 above zero this morning with out wind chill. I am going today to the feed store (luckly they already know me well there) to pick up bottles/buckets milk replacer, calf starter and some bales of straw for bedding. We bale our own hay, so that is not a problem (although a huge PITA in the summer when the baler won't tie! lol) Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some medical supplies from the vet to have on hand incase we run into problems with them. Cross your fingers for me that everything goes well with bringing them home tomorrow!

Thanks,
Kate

Roxy - Are you sure he won't mind if I e-mail questions?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bottle Calf Tips

Calf Raising Tips

Use only whole milk milk replacer ( no soy). If you have already bought a soy based milk replacer save it for last when calves are older.
Use a thermometer for milk and get milk as close to calf’s body temp as possible. For each degree less than body temp milk looses aprox 10% of food value. 10 degrees = zero food value.

Try to get animals of 80 lbs or better. Better chance of survival.

Feed at 12 hr intervals, as close as possible.
Do not overfeed-- a hungry calf is a healthy calf

Keep animals separate. A bottle calf will suck the naval on another calf until the intestines fall out.

You should have on hand :
Iodine= I would use a cap full in hot water to sterilize the nipples
inject able antibiotics
A few ten cc syringes
A handful of 18 gauge needles 1 inch long
Electrolytes

There are two things that you cannot get at the feed store or the vet that you must have to raise calves.== husbandry and compassion.

With calves if something goes wrong you do not have a lot of time. If you feel something is wrong, Do something, shot, oral med , something. If you do not see a change is 12 hrs do something different. Good luck

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuzbutz - Thank you so much! I have not bought the milk replacer yet, going after work today I will make sure it is not soy. They are 3-4 weeks old and have been on the cows since birth. This should have given them a good start. I have the syringes and will check the guage of the needles I have at home (from the horses) to see what size they are. I didn't know that about the temp of the milk, I'll make sure we check the temp.

Thanks again and if you think of any other things please bring them to my attention!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Did not realize that they were that old. This will minimize the problems. When you switch from mothers milk keep a close eye out for scours. If scours occur take off milk and feed electrolytes for 24 hours (2 feedings). If scours stop, then try re-introducing milk replacer on a 50% with 50% electrolytes for a feeding. If all is going ok, then give a probiotic orally to assist in digesting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone. Just wanted to thank you all again for your input! Hubby picked up the calves on Friday and I picked up the meds from the vet for them. We had our 1st bottle feeding Friday PM about six. We've keep up at 12 hour intervals, so every morning and evening at 6-6:30. Both calves were given a shot of gentacin (spelling) on Friday along with 2 sulfa pills (both shot and pills from vet). Two more solfa pills on Saturday. They both look bright eyed and pretty healthy, so these are preventative measures, since calves are very prone to stress illnesses. Little bully (bull calf) is a little "loose" so we're treating with scours meds from the vet. He also has a very very slight cough and so I am picking up a shot from the vet for that. I'm probably a little paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! I took some pictures of them but I forgot my camera today so I'll have to post them tomorrow!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts