Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously thinking of getting my little guy some snow boots. Just makes common sense to me that I wouldn't go out in the snow etc. barefooted but wearing a down coat.
Measured his beautiful feet so I know what size but would love to hear some recommendations and thoughts.
I want him to have as much fun as possible through all seasons and if we get a vortex like we did several times last winter, he's going to need warmth and protection to enjoy his outdoor play time in my mind.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
The main reason boots are necessary is the salt/calcium used on the roads and sidewalks in winter. Those will burn the foot pads.

With snow, it might helps also because of all the little balls of snow that get caught in between the toepads. This will bother some dogs.

Dogs are a lot better equipped for winter than us and poodles will be okay going for a walk in very cold temperatures.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The snow does not worry me too much since Louie has shaved feet but the salt does freak me out. We live on a very steep hill and the salt guys always go overboard on our road (to the point of slipping on the salt!) so that's why I am looking into boots as well. I was told the plastic ones that fit snuggly are the best -have tried mukluks (spelling?) in the past and they were more expensive and my Vizsla refused to walk in them.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
If you find good boots that stay on please post back about them.

My minipoo hates getting snow between her toes. I’ve tried several types and none worked. The balloon type ones were too tight and I was afraid they would cut off her circulation even though the foot measurements matched her feet. I tried several boots that fell off and she detested them. I had the best luck with socks that had a nonslip bottom. They did fall off while walking and the quickly got soaking wet and took forever to dry.

I didn’t try mukluks because they were so expensive.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i put boots on milo in extreme cold, he tells me he needs boots by constantly lifting one leg at a time. the best one that worked for him was the cheap ole neoprene boots from the dollar store. they are a bit long and comes up to his elbow and i find this is terrible since it doesnt stay on. so i did cut shorter at the foot area and serged it. this way the velcro just wraps around his ankles. he could be running at full tilt and that boots stays on. i also made him some from duffel wool scraps and fleece, they are super easy to make if you know how to sew.

another option is the pawz boots, which basically looks like a balloon and fits like a *ahem* a c*ndom, not sure if that will post in its entirety..lol. i find that that you have to fit one that fits snug, so even though milo's paws says he should be wearing a size "small", a better fit would have been a size "XS". however i believe if he has more hair around his legs, a size small would have fit. i dont find them particularly great since they do come off and they are also quite slippery on ice. they are also expensive.

as for getting him used to it. start in the house, plenty of praise and treats. i distracted milo a lot from trying to take them off so in turn he was fine. took a few days. i put it back on him a few days ago about 8 months since he wore them, he has good memory. didnt flinched when i put it on him and appreciated the boots when we were out walking.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Asuk, could you share a link on how you made some from scraps? I'm really interested in the Muttluks. A gal at work has them and they come up mid-leg and Velcro. I agree though, they are expensive! Never say any dog boots at the $ store. Maybe I'm not looking carefully?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Asuk, could you share a link on how you made some from scraps? I'm really interested in the Muttluks. A gal at work has them and they come up mid-leg and Velcro. I agree though, they are expensive! Never say any dog boots at the $ store. Maybe I'm not looking carefully?
Milo tried on muttluks boots before but it didn’t stay on quite well on him. Some boots have a hard sole and I find those are terrible. Maybe work for bigger dogs but not for a small dog. First pic is all the boots I have, black one I made from scraps of fleece and duffel wool with Velcro. Tons of tutorial online about it. Blue is from dollar store, they were twice as long. There’s holes due to him digging in patches of dirt but considering he wears them from November till April, I don’t mind it as much plus they were cheap. The red one is the pawz boots.

The boots looks bunched up on his legs,and they are a little but you can have them too small since it will be hard to put on. Plus I feel it perhaps give him some toe movement when he runs, though I don’t know how much about it. Lol. The pawz boots is just weird on him though i did see a lab wore it and it looked like a perfect fit. Pawz boots are also so hard to put on tiny legs since the opening is also tiny.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I have MuttLuks for the poodles and for Peeves. They have worked well for us. If they are just going out for a quick potty break I don't usually bother with boots or a coat, especially since Javelin would be likely to pee on the front boots. I do take the winter gear out for long romps to play in snowy cold weather and for walks where we may be forced into a road with salt. We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood and because we all have curbside mail delivery our streets tend to get narrow if there is a big snow dump so we don't walk in the streets when that is the case.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
i put boots on milo in extreme cold, he tells me he needs boots by constantly lifting one leg at a time.
We walk every morning on a laneway that's free of salt. So no boots. Even at the dog park, he'll stop occasionally and chew out some snow balls... then take off again at a run.

Last Winter at -20C he started favouring a paw or two. Mostly from age. So I have boots this year. Tried them on him once and was looking forward to 'the dance'. No such luck, he acted like he didn't even notice them.

But we're all set for the cold this year. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
We walk every morning on a laneway that's free of salt. So no boots. Even at the dog park, he'll stop occasionally and chew out some snow balls... then take off again at a run.

Last Winter at -20C he started favouring a paw or two. Mostly from age. So I have boots this year. Tried them on him once and was looking forward to 'the dance'. No such luck, he acted like he didn't even notice them.

But we're all set for the cold this year. :)
Yes, around -20C is when Milo need boots, it was -18c a few days ago but today -4c, so winter is still trying to find its footing here. You have to post a pic or two of that old dawg in his gear :aetsch:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Clark will be wearing Pawz. They are almost like gloves.
They are completely waterproof and don't have any fasteners.
Dogs are supposed to find them more comfortable than conventional boots.

I hope they work well to protect his little feet. I know Pawz have excellent reviews.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Paws was the brand that didn’t work for my minipoo. The foot part was okay but the part around the ankle was far too tight and could have cut off her circulation. And yes, they are a challenge to put on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Honey uses the ballon type ones for wet weather running up to snow. When it's good and snowy and cold, she has mukluks as I found they were pretty much the only thing she didn't kick off (that poodle prance!!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts