Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s fall here and feels like I’m constantly wiping, washing, drying Winston’s (spoo) paws every time he comes in from outdoors. We have a half acre yard with grassed areas and small wooded area where he can run (or in W’s case more like a full on gallop) and play. Sometimes, using a few non-scented wipes on his paws does the trick or if lucky even a microfibre towel is enough. When particularly wet like today, the paw wipes are no match so I end up having to actually wash (and dry) his paws which is, well, time consuming. Been trying to find good boots that could maybe even use in winter. What I see a lot of are little short boots which I guess are fine to keep the feet clean but not the lower leg. Any suggestions or luck with taller boots, galoshes or those legging (that tie over the dog’s back)?

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
🤣 well that is my woe too, only my guys are a lot shorter so half their bodies get wet in a couple inches of wet grass. I found leggings the dogs hated them
Walker Paws leggings

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I use a thick towel on the floor at the door and another to dry Zoe's legs. We rarely have rain, but snow is not unusual - sometimes quite a bit of snow. One of the funniest things I ever saw was when Zoe bounced into a pile of drifted snow (about 18 inches deep - over her head) and had to "swim" out. That did not change her love of snow, though!

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,015 Posts
I know what you mean! With the dew on the grass every morning now, and bare dirt areas in the yard where Elroy frequents, I'm having to wipe his feet clean every morning. Usually right after he paints his paw prints all over the kitchen floor! Mopping the kitchen floor has now become a daily thing too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know what you mean! With the dew on the grass every morning now, and bare dirt areas in the yard where Elroy frequents, I'm having to wipe his feet clean every morning. Usually right after he paints his paw prints all over the kitchen floor! Mopping the kitchen floor has now become a daily thing too.
Ditto that!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered Muttluks Muttgators this week. The site has a 20% sale on now. I’m not quite sure how I’m going to handle Luka’s fluffy legs this winter. I might shave them short or try and leave poms/bracelets so thought the gators would help avoid the dreaded snow balls. I used the Muttluks snow musher boots on my last Spoo and hopefully they will fit Luka. They sell them in pairs of 2 as the front paws are bigger then the back paws so you can get the sizing right. I also got them in different colours so it’s easier to tell which are back feet and front feet LOL.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. We could have used a full rain suit today with the torrential rain storm we are having. Brought W out to pee this morning in a leash (to limit the time out) but he (and I) were completely soaked. Thank goodness for microfibre towels and my flying pig dryer!

·
Registered
32 Posts
We've been working on growing more grass than weeds since before Bennie joined the family last week. I never much cared what the lawn looked like, I just often joked that I'd be happy as long as it was mostly green. Now that I'm constantly wiping mud and sand off of her paws every hour (puppy pee breaks!), I'm longing for some grass! 😂 It's these little things you don't think about before getting a dog. She's still small enough that I'm carrying her up the front steps and in the door anyhow. but I imagine I'll have to figure out a good system as she gets bigger!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I'm constantly wiping mud and sand off of her paws every hour (puppy pee breaks!), I'm longing for some grass! 😂 It's these little things you don't think about before getting a dog.
Exactly! Winston arrived in the dead of winter (lots of snow and freezing cold) which at the time I thought to myself was going to be terrible. It wasn’t great to have to go out in my jacket/housecoat/no cost during those yearly house training months. BUT, at least I didn’t have to worry about muddy paws 🐾.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even with grass I still find paws still gets sandy, dirty when ground is wet. Not so bad if just going out and back in. But any amount of running around means I’m getting the paw wipes out. In summer, I did just hose his lower legs and feet off outside the mudroom door and pop into his crate for his scheduled nap. He learned to hate that door and play keepaway so I don’t do that anymore. I also have a mudbuster which he does not mind at all and it works really really well. I only use that when really really dirty and wanting to avoid using a whole package of wipes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts