Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to purchase booties for my 9 month old standard poodle, but his front nails are real long. I have been trying to clip them back a little at a time prior to the winter weather, but they are not short enough for the average booties. Can anyone recommend a bootie that will accommodate my puppy's long nails?
Thanks.
Brown Cabinetry Drawer Wood Toy
Brown Cabinetry Drawer Wood Toy

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have no advice, but just have to say, your boy is gorgeous! I have a thing for brown poodles ❤💕🥰

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Muttluks-Original-All-Weather-Yellow-2-75-3-25in/dp/B0006HB6XM/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=1JW3C8O55216C&keywords=muttluks+dog+boots&qid=1641913816&sprefix=muttl,aps,83&sr=8-5

I recommend these highly. We love ours. Bobby’s front paw nails aren’t super short either. You are supposed to wear these tightly but I have found you can leave a bit of room in the front of the boot while wrapping the straps tightly works well for Bobby. Bobby wears a large so they are a bit looser than they recommend. I also didn’t want them too tight because he has his dew claws. They are expensive but hold up very well. I think they are worth it. 😊
Dog Snow Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
There are sock variations with rubber bottoms that might be more accomodating to the nails.

You're going to run into issues with the friction and the hair on the bracelettes. I found Basil was more prone to matting and knots in her bracelettes during the winter. Hence, why I just shaved them off because it was too much of a hassel.

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
I used Muttluks on Pogo and Snarky when they were wearing their paw pads down to the pink by running on frozen sandy ground. They had somewhat long claws at the time. The good part was that the Muttluks were easy to put on, stayed on, and didn't cause rubs or injuries to the dogs. The bad part is that the Muttluks rotated when the dogs were running, so the leather sole ended on top of the foot and the nylon was against the ground. The nylon couldn't handle this punishment and promptly got a bunch of little holes. I had to toss the boots after the session. However, the dogs' feet took no additional damage, so I considered it a win all in all.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Zephyr's Muttluks work great, stay on, don't rotate. I got the Muttluks Deluxe for him. He runs around like a maniac, plays with other dogs, and barrels through the woods with them on.

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
What are the booties for? Snow? Salt? Extended periods outside?

If it’s just to protect his feet from salt, I had good luck with Pawz. One set lasted us forever, and—unlike the other booties we tried—they never fell off and didn’t seem to interfere with movement at all. I think they’d be accommodating of long nails.

Dog Dog supply Pet supply Companion dog Working animal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts