Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to let all toy poodle lovers that there is a thief diguising herself as a breeder in Michigan. Dawn Tillery of Tillery's red toy poodles took a $200 deposit for a red female toy poodle who was to be born 2 months after I made my deposit. We both signed her contract stating that a refund would only be given if there was "no red female to choose from in the litter". Unfortunately only 1 male pup was born from the litter and she still hasn't refunded my deposit. She refuses to answer my e-mails and even changed her e-mail address! BUYER BEWARE!!! Dawn Tillery of Tillery's Red Toy Poodles does not hold to the conditions of her own contract!! She will take your money!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I feel for you and that really sucks:wacko: Are you going to continue your search? I suggest reading through these threads / past threads too. At this point all you can do now is keep calling etc in an attempt to get your money but at the same time what you have learned from dealing with this person you feel wronged you?

I went to the website, and she has a LOT going on with litters, wow. And just ooooddles of what I call red flags that I would not have went past page 1. I am sure if you are interested there are many experienced people here that can help answer any questions you may have.

Good luck getting your money back and I hope you find a GOOD/GREAT breeder!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Oh, dear....I am so sorry to hear news like that. I don't suppose you will ever see your money but you learned a hard lesson and I thank you for sharing it with the forum members. I do hope that things will go better for you next time.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm sorry you got burned by this breeder. Have you tried calling rather than emailing?

IMO any breeder who asks for a deposit before the litter is born is suspect. Every breeder I have spoken to who I would actually consider has said we can wait until they see if they might have a puppy for me and then we'll talk deposits. I would walk away from any breeder who asked for money up front.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's really unfortunate she won't refund your deposit. Maybe in time, she will come to realize it is the right thing to do.

However, if she doesn't, just be thankful that you didn't get one of her pups. I haven't looked at her website yet, but it sounds like you will be much better off with a more reputable breeder. It's a real shame that the toy breeders in particular tend to be breeding for money rather than the betterment of the breed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience! Getting the word out about this gal's dishonesty will hopefully keep another unsuspecting person get burned!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry for such a bad experience. Have you tried calling or going to see her?
Hopefully she will give you a puppy from her next litter if nothing else. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Do you have a copy of the contract that both of you signed? If so, take her to small claims court, if the contract says what you posted and you both signed it, then I don't see how you could lose. She will also be responsible for your court costs. If you have her physical address, send her a letter giving her 30 days to send your money or you will file. How did you pay? Credit card companies and Paypal should be willing to refund you, JMO.

I don't know how most breeders do it, but the breeder I'm hoping to buy from doesn't ask for deposits until the pups are born and they know how many puppies of which color and sex they have. Even if most breeder ask for a check before the pups are born, they should either not cash it or put the money aside, until their end of the contract has been filled. In this case she shouldn't have touched your money until there was a female red puppy for you.

If nothing else you learned what not to look for in a breeder. Take some time to check out this forum and see what reputable breeders do.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you as hoped. I do hope you're able to get your deposit back. If not, just remember everything happens for a reason and you're probably better off to not have gotten one of her pups. Perhaps something even better is in your future :)!

I did glance at the website. Her pups are cute, but they do seem to be a bit mishapen/long. There are lots of Toy breeders, I'm sure your perfect dog is out there!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm sorry that you are out your deposit. However, this is really not the type of breeder you want to buy from in the 1st place. From her web site, describing one of her brood bitches:

She loves to be held and rocked just like a real baby. Her favorite pastime is to sleep on the bed with her dad. She has her own pillow and blanket and sleeps just like a real baby. She is spoiled rotten and loved very much. She is our forever baby as we could not imagine life without her.

This makes me shudder. :wacko:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'm sorry that you are out your deposit. However, this is really not the type of breeder you want to buy from in the 1st place. From her web site, describing one of her brood bitches:

She loves to be held and rocked just like a real baby. Her favorite pastime is to sleep on the bed with her dad. She has her own pillow and blanket and sleeps just like a real baby. She is spoiled rotten and loved very much. She is our forever baby as we could not imagine life without her.

This makes me shudder. :wacko:
They Suffer from SDS !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your advise. Yes I have the signed contract and a receipt. She required a postal money order, Unfortunately she lives in Michigan and I live in North Carolina. At this point I definately don't want one of her pups because I can't trust her. So I continue to try to get my deposit refunded. I will definately try sending her a letter and see if that works. I've been e-mailing her, she changed her e-mail address (notice 2 addresses on her website). Then I e-mailed her new adress and she ignores my e-mails and then I e-mailed a copy of the contract and now she is trying to give me a pup from a different litter. At this point, I know she is not the breeder for me. Since I placed my deposit she has added numerous new dogs that she is now breeding. Its just so disappointing. Guess I'll just have to wait to see if she grows a conscience!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW! I went back to Dawn Tillerys red toy poodles website and she has changed alot of her policies that are out of an effort not to refund my deposit.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Send the letter certified so you can prove you sent it and she got it. Also save a copy for your records. It doesn't matter what her site says, what matters is the contract that she signed. It might be a good idea to start printing off anything you saved from her website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for your helpful advise! Next time I search for a new poodle I will definately ask my poodle forum friends for people who they have dealt with that have handled business situations with integrity and honesty!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would look elsewhere.
They say nothing about any health test just that all there dogs are adorable.
Well what poodle is not adorable ?
They do not show.

I would look for another breeder.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Definately try and get your money back and document all the attempts you made to contact her for your small claims if you end up having to take it that route.

As a breeder, I don't accept a deposit until the pups are born. I do have a reservation list. At birth that list is notified and the deposit is taken in order of reservation and for the specific type (sex, color). If the dog of their choice is not available they can be placed on a new reservation list at the top or I can refer to another reputable breeder that may have something available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do not understand why deposits, required by so many breeders are not refundable? We will gladly refund if the customers preference for male, female, and or color preferences are not met at time of selection. This is called fair, and all breeders should change their practices to refund deposits, especially in this economy. I am so sorry you came cross a greedy breeder.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts