Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noelle and I have been practicing rotating with her feet on a book for several months. I now pretend I am trying to get her not to follow, laughing, and trying to escape, which of course gets Noelle moving faster.

In rally, you have 360 circles, 270 degree turns, 180 degree pivots, left and right pivots, about turns and about u-turns. The better your dog is at moving the rear end, the easier and easier these signs become. Rotating on a book helped Noelle so much with this she now is super flexible. This trick also helps with finding heel position and backing up three steps because your dog learns how to move in unusual ways.

As always, Kikopup breaks this down into easy to understand steps. You don't have to click, if clicking isn't how you train. Yes, and a treat works well, too. Happy training!

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh yeah, I don't see how you could do pivots without training with some sort of platform! We took a whole class on it since I'm not adept enough to teach it on my own LOL I also use a rubber feed bowl.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Hind end awareness is a truly useful skill for rally, agility and getting nice sit at heel for obedience too. I have a small platform with contact obstacle skin on it. But you can use all sorts of small low objects.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
We were taught pivot in the class that lead into competition obedience. I still pull out her bowl every once and a while to keep her skills tight. It was fun to teach and Click, I'm glad that you posted that video so others can learn how to train pivots.

I found it easier to use a bowl and not a rectangle book. Round because I stand next to her - with her two feet on the pivot bowl and either step forward or backward around the bowl as she follows me - it's basically the same movement you make for rally pivots. One of my trainers pulled out some random things in class and we got a phone book - I hated having to adjust around the square as we worked. The circle just seems to flow better for us.

The pivot is handy for service dogs and those of us who take our dogs into dog friendly stores. I had Babykins in a busy store while I was shopping for last minute gifts. Tight spaces, crowded with shoppers meant we had to pivot and sometimes go backwards to maneuver around the store.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat
1 - 5 of 5 Posts