Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have never boarded our dogs. We currently live in Hawaii and are planning a trip in June to visit family for about 3 weeks. One trip to get all the visiting done. Now, we have 2 dogs and I don't know what to do with them. We have strict regulations on bringing animals into Hawaii and I would have to start now to get titers done, etc, in order to take them with me in June. Then, they would have approx 8 hour flight to Atlanta, then a couple hour long car ride to get to where we are going. Then another 8 hour flight upon our return 3 weeks later. Kala will be 1 year old by then and Boomba will be 8 months old. This will probably cost over $1000 but I will need to check into more to know for sure.

The only other option is to board. The military has kennels here that the girls could share at $28 per day which comes out to around $600. the price is good but I can't imagine leaving my dogs for 3 weeks in a kennel. I can't imagine leaving my dogs for 3 weeks period.

We have not gotten tickets for us to fly yet because I can't decide if we should go. What to do??

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thats tough, I don't think I could go 3 weeks in a kennel. I would need to know a lot about it. I would take mine 4. That is a lot of money BUT I would be too afraid of repercussions for that length of time. It's too bad you couldn't look for a neighbor that likes animals that if you paid them to keep your dogs would be ideal. Some extra cash, time to get to know them before June......you got a hard one front of you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is a tough one! I also wouldn't want to leave my dogs in a kennel for that long. Although, my Grandparents do it at least once a year. They have 4 dogs, 3 shelties and one Morkie and they seem to do just fine. It's not something that I would want to do. The best thing would be if a friend would watch them for you. Even if they could watch them for part of the time, split the time between a friend and the kennel?

If bringing them with you is an option I would look more into that. We take our dogs on all of our vacations. I don't feel comfortable leaving them behind...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am also interested in this, we are traveling when Rio will be just 8 months for 2-3 weeks, the flight is 4 hours. I'm feeling a little worried about how stressful it will be on him. Of course 4 hours is so much easier than 8, I don't think any of us want our babies to be uncomfortable.

Do you have a layover in those 8 hours at all for potty breaks??

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Have you thought about having someone come into your home to dog/house sit?? I have done this for one of my puppy buyers. Their family went to Asia for three weeks, and they had me come to their home (which is really a mansion!!) I looked after the pets (two dogs and a cat) did some light house keeping (organized their linen closets and pantry cupboards) and everyone was delighted. They paid me $1,000 for 18 days there (the other three days they were kennelled because it was over Christmas). The dogs barely noticed their people were gone, because their routine was exactly the same, they were where they are most comfortable, they were all together, and it cost these people a lot less than the board for two dogs and a cat. They were happy because they came home to happy pets and a spotless home. Their mail had been picked up, no important phone calls were missed...it was a win/win situation for the people, for the pets and for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have a host family service in your area?! They seem to be popping up in many area's of the UK. I am thinking along these lines when we go on holiday or when I have to go out of town for a few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts