Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of getting a 20 weeks old puppy beginning of March. After 4 months with us we'd be traveling without her for 5-6 weeks and the breeder would be boarding her for that time. Would there be negative effects because of the separation? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have boarded my Spoo before and noticed no problems. Although I have heard that even with a kennel cough vaccine then can still catch it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Depending on how much time the breeder has, the puppy might have behavior issues if it wasn’t given enough time, or even revert back in the housebreaking department.

It certainly isn’t ideal because your leaving your puppy’s education in someone else’s hands during a crucial developmental period (puberty/adolescence).

If you’re aware of that and you are prepared to get a somewhat unruly/destructive puppy back, then it’s okay.

Personnally, I would wait until I came back to get the puppy. Those 5-6 weeks might destroy everything you had been working on prior to leaving. I like to raise my dogs a certain way, and I know that when I do it, my dogs turn out fine.

Or maybe your breeder doesn’t have that many dogs and will really take the time to educate your teenager as if it were their own dog. I don’t know.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have to agree with what Dechi has said. It really all depends on the breeder and what kind of time she has to devote to the puppy. If it were me I'd probably get a puppy when I would have the time to give it my attention. But that me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That 5-6 weeks is important relationship building time. Are you able to bring your puppy with you? Can you postpone your trip? If not, I would wait to get a puppy. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Totally agree with most, I would wait and get the puppy when I returned. Any dog when you first get them no matter the age, need a few months to really bond to you. Once that bond is made, they do not forget you.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
The pup would be around 9 months when you take the trip and will have been with your family for about 4 months?

I have to agree that it's not a great idea to leave a newish pup in someone else's hands for such an extended period while still that young. Have you found a Moyen pup already:)?

What kind of negative effects are you thinking of? Loss of bonding? Loss of learning? Will the breeder keep the pup in their home and treat it as if a member of their family? Do you like how they treat theirs?

It would be better if the trip could be shortened, postponed, or travel with the pup, but if none of those are possible, and this is the pup you want, and you trust the breeder, then whatever negative effects may happen will just need to be overcome. It is nice that the breeder is willing to help out to this extent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I can't take the dog with me as we go to Europe. I have decided to wait till we come back. Hopefully we can find a pup very soon after our return. We go to Europe every summer visiting family. So when we leave in 2020 the dog will be at least a year old.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
That sounds like a better plan. I know it is somewhat disappointing to think you are passing "your puppy" over, but since the commitment to a puppy lasts a super long time the first year really is very important. I understand not wanting to drag a baby dog around Europe, but in the future you can probably think about traveling with your dog. European hotels, restaurants, etc. are mostly pretty dog friendly and I know a number of people who have taken their dogs with them on European trips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am very sad to pass her over. She is exactly that kind of dog I had in mind. Of course I'd prefer to take a dog with me to Europe. But isn't the flight very stressful? Is that better than boarding a dog? We usually stay at the same apartment every year and they unfortunately do not allow dogs. We also already!! have some friends and family lined up to take care of the dog for the time we're gone.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
If the dog is a tpoo or a small mini that can fit in an under seat carrier it is probably much easier for the people. I do think you need to train the dog for the smaller crate and such though. The people I know who have taken dogs to Europe have done so for sporting events like agility and Crufts Obedience and their dogs are big so flew in the cargo compartment. If that was the case for me I suspect I would give either CBD oil or some other anti-anxiolytic before boarding the dog onto the plane. If friends and family can take care of the dog at home that should be just fine. When we go to the Indy 500 every May Javelin goes out to stay with my mom and Lily and Peeves stay at our home and a caretaker comes to the house to visit/care for them and my chickens.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Anke, I think that is probably a good plan. I find it better to train and spend time with my dogs their 1st year, maybe longer with the one I have now, lol but by then you have an established relationship. You may even find a caretaker to house/pet sit for you while you travel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are looking for a small standard. So he or she would have to go in the cargo department. We have to switch flights at least once, most of the time twice. That must be very stressful. And it's such a long flight. Plus the cost for the flight and also a place to stay with a dog will be way more expensive than the one we stay every summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have found one, yes. I'd be primarily concerned about the bonding, since she'd be with us for only 4 months and then has to go to another place. Isn't that also a stress factor for a dog? If you are an experienced dog owner it's probably much easier to overcome difficulties that may show up. But I'm new to this.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I have found one, yes. I'd be primarily concerned about the bonding, since she'd be with us for only 4 months and then has to go to another place. Isn't that also a stress factor for a dog? If you are an experienced dog owner it's probably much easier to overcome difficulties that may show up. But I'm new to this.
I actually think it would be much easier on a puppy than adult dog, assuming your breeder is providing the same amount of love, attention, socialization, and training. If you're going to have to go to Europe every year, I'd go ahead and get the dog now.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Anke, you should go read up at dogjaunt.com, a site specifically about this!! Europe is quite doable with a small dog, and if you plan it right, she may be able to fly under the seat in the cabin with you.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I've been thinking some more on this. The extended trip you take is yearly, and you may or may not take any/the pup with you on future trips even if you wait. So, the question really only has to do with the age of the pup if you pick this pup and take this trip as planned.

Any dog you add to your family may need to learn to adjust to a regular but not frequent extended separation. I still think it's not ideal, but it's a reality of your life. If I had to leave my boys for an extended time at any age, my biggest concern would be how they would be treated when I'm not around.

Reactions: Pudelherz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for giving it more thought! I think we have decided to wait until we'll be back. We're trying to find one that can come home with us in August, so he/she will be 1 year old when we go to Europe ind 2010. It looks like I have found the only breeder in our area who'll have brown small standard puppies in this spring/summer. It almost sounds to good to be true... I just hope it's gonna work out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts