Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are going on a 5 day trip at the end of July, and rather than board our 8 month old black mini Pepper at a local kennel, we've decided to leave her with some friends of ours. They've got 3 kids (who have met Pepper several times) and are thinking about getting a dog, so it will be a good test for them. We like the idea since Pepper will get one on one attention in an environment similar to what she's used to.

Now, one of the daughters of these people is going to be coming to our house every day to water our plants.

Should she bring Pepper along just so Pepper can be in a familiar environment for that time?

We want this to be as trauma free for Pepper as possible, at the same time, I don't want to overcoddle her. I know dogs have been away from their house for longer periods than that, but this is her first time, so any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If Pepper is distressed about being away from home, it will be more because she misses you all than that she misses your house. If the daughter takes her to your house, then Pepper will think she is going home to be with you. I think it will be less stressful to leave Pepper in place for the duration.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use to dog sit for a friend and I would take all the dogs over to her yard to play as she had a much bigger yard than my condo yard..her dog would get excited about being there and would sniff around but was always happy to come back to my place..of course he was very use to being with me as I was his 2nd home.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If it were me, I would want someone to take my dog on lots of outings including coming home for plants, cats etc. Spend some quality time in her own yard, sniffing her own familiar smells and then when she comes back to the sitters house, she will play and eat there. I dont think dogs remember or know why they are being moved around....well adjusted dogs adapt to many different things and accept it as their normal life. I board a few special dogs. I treat them as my own and they accept everything quite willingly and cheerfully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts