Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of blues. I'm a classics person usually but the more i see of the blues the more i like that color... but what are they like, how is their coat (ive heard that some colors tend to have nicer coats than others) and here is the big one.... are there any good breeders? do any of you have blues?? I'd love to see pictures!!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I LOVE a nice cleared-out blue, they are gorgeous.
But I hate that it takes 2-4 years until they're looking good, and I hate that they're inclined to go brown-ish too.

*Personally* if colour was the only factor in deciding between dogs, I'd be hard pressed to choose a blue puppy over another colour... But also, if it was an adult that'd already cleared out to a nice colour I could be swayed cos when they look good they look GOOD. lol!

In the end I do prefer the silvers I think, at least then ya know their colouring a lot more than the blues, it can be hard to tell the difference between a bad black and a blue and the time it takes to clear is a long time for many.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is interesting that they tend to brown.. I never would have guessed, and that would look wierd,
and i guess my biggest issue with the blues is that i really don't want to get a poo for color only... they are quite striking though...
and i guess just because it is a rarer color does not mean it would be "color only" but.. does that make any sence?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
this is an interesting link on blues vs silvers
http://home.online.no/~tormaha/veientilhytta.cfm

and this one
http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/poodlecoatcolorsblueandblack.html

and this one is about all colours, but has info on the blue
http://www.canine-genetics.com/pdlcolor.html
in particular this quote:
"The outer coat of a blue poodle is nearly as dark as that of a black, but their inner coat is a mix of colors. The amount of each color depends on the age of the dog. In middle-aged dog, medium brown predominates."

I saw a gorgeous pic of a gorgeous blue just last night, now I can't find it again. haha!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I love blue dogs :) and I do not even mind "clearing" phase since transition shades look so interesting sometimes - at least to me LOL Final product is almost always breath-taking though : )))).

I almost got a blue *sigh (7 mos old) but breeder got very sick and had surgery and is still recovering (4 weeks now) ... so I lost hope there too...:rip:

"Somewhere over the rainboooowww,

Blue birds flyyyyy ...." :flypig: LMAO

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't think there are any "blue breeders" but many breeders do get blue. (I think that's a good thing b/c it seems like when people start breeding for a particular color they are more likely to cut corners.) I would check w/ Silver breeders. The breeder I'm hoping to buy from produces silver, white and blue. The silver and blue come from Graphic lines. The dogs from Graphic breedings are doing a lot of winning in the show ring and many breeders are breeding to that line. Graphic doesn't have a website, but if you google it you should come up w/ some breeders who have that line.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Actually there is a blue breeder in NY... fantastic person.
Her is her website:
http://www.blumajicstdpoodles.com/

It's not to say she won't have other colors (like black) but her love is blue.

I love the blues... the wait is worth it!
And if this is a pet, you really don't have a lot of that brown look as you are cutting it off. It's the poor dogs that are showing that need all that hair. It takes a long while for it to grow out.

You asked to see pictures... I've already posted some earlier but here is another of Amelia that I haven't.
At just 18 months old, it's really not 'that awful'! <g>
Karen

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys!!! this has been so informative! Karen, i have to agree your dog is gorgeous!! that is what i think of when i think blue. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts