Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Blue and Black poodles are born black. So I bought a puppy that turned out to be blue but I had grown to love her while waiting for her. Now I have put a deposit on another day in its day of birth. It was born with silver colored pads, sliver hair between toes and ALL white nails but black. Not a deep black like you see with blue. Anyway, does anyone know if a puppy born with all white nails turn out to be blue. She is 4 weeks now and breeder says she thinks she is blue not silver. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Not again. Can someone who breeds silver tell me if the silvers can turn silver later than 6 weeks? I do not want to commit to another dog that is supposed to be silver and turns out blue.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What colour are the parents? I found something a few months back comparing blue and silver newborns feet I’ll see if I can find it later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What colour are the parents? I found something a few months back comparing blue and silver newborns feet I’ll see if I can find it later.
Mother is silver and sire white. Here is a pic at birth.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can see how you thought the pup was silver looking at those pics. I hear from breeders that the white hairs behind the main pad means silver and without, it’s blue but it’s not a solid thing to go off the paw hair and I don’t know about nails. I’m intrigued to know, hopefully a breeder of silvers will answer this.
I’ve noticed many silver breeders here hold off having people secure and visit puppies until they are 4weeks because that’s when they know if they are silver or not. With the sire being white I suppose you have to expect some blues. Have you decided what to do?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Blue and silver poodles should have black nails (according to the breed standard) so white nails aren’t an indicator there.

Certainly all the silver pups I’ve seen have been obviously silver by 5-6 weeks, but of course some silvers will end up dark and some blues will continue to lighten. Don’t think there’s any real way to predict - I have met quite a few of my boy’s relatives and he is significantly lighter than most of them.

If you are desperate for a silver I would probably wait for a different litter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts