Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have spent hours looking at the the colors. New poodle puppy owners what are your thoughts. We do not plan on shaving her face anytime soon.Her coat is also jet black with silver and white in pads. She is 8 weeks old and her name is Tesla. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,857 Posts
Chrispy with that white in her pads she will not finish as black, but probably silver. You would see that very clearly if you groomed her face. I acrtually strongly suggest that you have her face (feet and tail also) clipped asap. If she doesn't get used to poodle grooming needs now when very young you are likely to end up with a dog that is very hard to groom because it is alien and scary. Even if you want a fluffy face cut they still need to understand grooming since I think it takes more work to keep a fluffy face neat and clean than to clip the face.

Welcome to PF and please look at this sticky thread on grooming puppies. Teaching grooming behavior to puppies

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Good info from lily cd re. Take a stroll over to the Poodle Rainbow forum and look thru the photos in the Silver and the Blue threads. You'll see why the suggestion to shave the face is a definer for a young silver pup.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Very pretty pup she doesn't look inky black to me and my guess though certainly no expert here is she will be silver> I have to agree with the others proper grooming is important at this age even if you want to leave her long once she is older. A poodles coat goes from soft & fluffy as a puppy to tight and curly as a adult and you will get that look again after grooming and blowing her coat. As their coat changes from puppy to adult you will get the soft fur mingled with the tight curls and it will mat, which is why many keep them trimmed at that point. Fluffy feet and unclean pads will bring all sorts of sand/dirt into your home and the puppy will not have any traction on floors without carpets, that hair also mats. Now I'm newer to poodles than many here but in the 3 years I've had my guy, clean feet, sanitary and snout are a must for me. Which reminds I have to do a bit of grooming myself today. Good luck with your puppy whatever you decide she is lovely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chrispy with that white in her pads she will not finish as black, but probably silver. You would see that very clearly if you groomed her face. I acrtually strongly suggest that you have her face (feet and tail also) clipped asap. If she doesn't get used to poodle grooming needs now when very young you are likely to end up with a dog that is very hard to groom because it is alien and scary. Even if you want a fluffy face cut they still need to understand grooming since I think it takes more work to keep a fluffy face neat and clean than to clip the face.

Welcome to PF and please look at this sticky thread on grooming puppies. Teaching grooming behavior to puppies
Thanks I appreciate it we will shave her face and feet this week when our clippers arrive.
Very pretty pup she doesn't look inky black to me and my guess though certainly no expert here is she will be silver> I have to agree with the others proper grooming is important at this age even if you want to leave her long once she is older. A poodles coat goes from soft & fluffy as a puppy to tight and curly as a adult and you will get that look again after grooming and blowing her coat. As their coat changes from puppy to adult you will get the soft fur mingled with the tight curls and it will mat, which is why many keep them trimmed at that point. Fluffy feet and unclean pads will bring all sorts of sand/dirt into your home and the puppy will not have any traction on floors without carpets, that hair also mats. Now I'm newer to poodles than many here but in the 3 years I've had my guy, clean feet, sanitary and snout are a must for me. Which reminds I have to do a bit of grooming myself today. Good luck with your puppy whatever you decide she is lovely.
Thanks we appreciate it clippers on order

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I appreciate it. She is really black and the flash makes her look silver in some pictures we are going to shave her when our clippers come this week. Here is another picture and happy new year

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks we appreciate it we will clip her this week when clippers arrive have a happy new year. We will also update to show her pictures after we shave her.

Thanks we appreciate it and we will update with new pictures after we shave her feet and face and happy new year

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
She is really pretty, when mine was that age I started taking him to a groomer every 4 weeks. They did a sanitary, face and feet. He was bathed /dried and brushed out. Since cover I've been grooming him myself which wasn't to bad since I had a form to follow and he stands pretty still for it since he had been going for so long. He recently turned 3. I'll see if I can find a puppy picture. I'm not real good at grooming so now other than his ears and top knot he is cut short. LOL I see from your last picture she is blacker than I thought. Very pretty. Makes me want a 2nd one. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is really pretty, when mine was that age I started taking him to a groomer every 4 weeks. They did a sanitary, face and feet. He was bathed /dried and brushed out. Since cover I've been grooming him myself which wasn't to bad since I had a form to follow and he stands pretty still for it since he had been going for so long. He recently turned 3. I'll see if I can find a puppy picture. I'm not real good at grooming so now other than his ears and top knot he is cut short. LOL I see from your last picture she is blacker than I thought. Very pretty. Makes me want nd one. lol
Thanks he is cute we are going to try to groom r atleast try lol
She is really pretty, when mine was that age I started taking him to a groomer every 4 weeks. They did a sanitary, face and feet. He was bathed /dried and brushed out. Since cover I've been grooming him myself which wasn't to bad since I had a form to follow and he stands pretty still for it since he had been going for so long. He recently turned 3. I'll see if I can find a puppy picture. I'm not real good at grooming so now other than his ears and top knot he is cut short. LOL I see from your last picture she is blacker than I thought. Very pretty. Makes me want a 2nd one. lol
Thanks I appreciate it we are going to try to groom her ourselves first. And cute pup

·
Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
I agree with others, that you will probably have a better idea of his color once you get him groomed. My Galen is probably going to end up blue. He has always had brownish undertones to his black --very noticeable when he was next to a true black. Additionally, once he got to be a few months old he developed mouse grey patches around his whiskers and eyes. Those patches are now creeping up his muzzle. He never really had the white hairs between his toes, but he has white streaks under his ears that are getting more prominent.

I bathed him frequently and used a hair dryer on him when he was still small enough to fit in my kitchen sink. However, I took him to a pro groomer for his first trims. An experienced groomer is better able to avoid nicking a squirming dog than I am.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi I have posted new pictures would love your opinion thanks

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Before and after shave
Well you can cross silver off the list for sure. She looks very black to me after the shave but many blues don't really start to turn until later so there is a good chance she will start to fade out as she ages.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well you can cross silver off the list for sure. She looks very black to me after the shave but many blues don't really start to turn until later so there is a good chance she will start to fade out as she ages.
Thanks for your opinion here is a new picture or her today with flash on my phone. The color is not really important to us we are just curious of people with experience opinions we are first time poodle owners and don't think I did a bad job shaving her and the first time I ever used clippers on a dog.
20210114_163937.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your opinion here is a new picture or her today with flash on my phone. The color is not really important to us we are just curious of people with experience opinions we are first time poodle owners and don't think I did a bad job shaving her and the first time I ever used clippers on a dog. View attachment 472862
This picture in sun no flash
20210113_113217.jpg

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I think she will turn out blue. Beckie didn’t start fading before around 18 months old. I was so sure she was black.

I can’t believe you never touched a clipper before. You did an amazing job on her face and I think she looks so much better with a clean face !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is jet black with a small white spot on his chest and a single white toe. The breeder told me he is a blue poodle. His dad is apricot and mom is light grey (is that considered silver?). He has actually been turning brown on his muzzle and a bit on his feet and privates. I’m curious to see how he turns out, but at a year he’s still just as black almost everywhere.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts