Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met someone this weekend with a blue poodle - the puppy was slightly over a year old. I was shocked that it appeared to be more of a very dark brown color all over and not steely grey which is what I assumed. I realize that blue poodles do change their colors later than silvers but I thought they remained inky black until they start to change to a dark gunmetal gray. Of course the face was slightly lighter than the rest of the body.

If she hadn't told me his color, I would have assumed he was a brown poodle.

He was a cute little standard - 17.5 inches at the withers. Sweet guy.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Yes the clearing of a blue poodle does go through a distinctly brown looking phase and it can take a couple of years. Also the can be a range of colors dark steel blue to almost light enough to be like a darker silver.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
From 1 yr to about 2 Poppy had some silver threads in her ears and brownish tint around her eyes and muzzle. The rest of her was inky black. Then at age 2 she began a total coat change all over, like when she was a pup. Now at age 3 she is a steely grey, although her head, topknot, is still inky black. Her tail is fairly black but shot through with long white hairs. The brownish tint on her face has completely gone. It has been an interesting change to watch.

I suspect that Poppy is not yet finished with her coat change.

This picture was about 1 1/2 wks ago, tired Poppy after spa day.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nifty and I were just discussing our now “blue “ poodles on the Rainbow Poodle - blue thread. Both Dewey and Dulcie were black as youngsters then had the brownish tint. We had both registered them as black! It’s hard to show sometimes in pictures the true color. The black background helped when I took Dewey’s pics. They are both now 5 years old so we think they are as “blue” as they will get!

VikingQ, we had a Poppy relative from same breeder in our cgc class last month and at two years she was already really Blue and the Life of the Party. So sweet!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Nifty and I were just discussing our now “blue “ poodles on the Rainbow Poodle - blue thread. Both Dewey and Dulcie were black as youngsters then had the brownish tint. We had both registered them as black! It’s hard to show sometimes in pictures the true color. The black background helped when I took Dewey’s pics. They are both now 5 years old so we think they are as “blue” as they will get!

VikingQ, we had a Poppy relative from same breeder in our cgc class last month and at two years she was already really Blue and the Life of the Party. So sweet!
I did not realize that Dulcie had also turned blue....she was such an inky black.
That's really cool about Poppy's "cousin"...Poppy barely has an "off switch" so she is ALWAYS the life of the party where ever she goes. Everyone who meets her loves her and that makes my heart sing. Her lack of an off switch is a work in progress.:D:D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes, Raven had a “coat of many colors” as a baby. She was mostly black with a gray muzzle and brown long whispy fur on her back with a rusty undertone. I did not I stand when I bought her she would be blue but when I found out via more research I was relieved because I did not like the crazy color mix at all!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
In the past two months, my now 20-month old toy black poodle Bella has been getting more white hairs all over her body. It began early this year with a sprinkling of these on her muzzle. It's not too noticeable at a glance or when she's wet.

When I met Bella's mother in 2017, I thought she was an odd color that I couldn't quite define at the time, and she had been labeled as black in her first year or two of life. Bella is following that same pattern of slow color coat change to blue.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I had no idea that blue poodles could go through so many color changes. I assumed it was like apricot turning cream or silvers going lighter.

This dog was such a pretty color, truly dark chocolate.

Reactions: Smile Time Betty
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.