Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just came from a show on sat and have a question about blue poodles.
There was a blue poodle at the show that Allan was handling. SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL and won the breed. She look Blue and when I say Blue I mean like steel gray. I been looking at dogs online that are blue but they look almost black ? I thought this bitch was a silver at first but her face did not have lighter shades.

So do blue poodles come in different shades ?

She was this color With a few shaded hairs but not so much like a silver. She was a blue because Allan told us she was.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably thinking of silver at the show. Best to ask the owners what colour.
I hope I see her at the next show and I will be sure to ask her to make sure , she was very nice looking dog.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just letting you know that all blues and silver both start off black. Then they fade out into their colour. Blue look terrible as they are changing. Sometimes they look dirty, its a pretty bad blue really. My little bitch is starting to go blue but couldnt get the right light for the pic. She is looking blue on the backend like the dane. Will try to get better pics next week.

You can see the change in her face and on her body. She is nearly 3 yrs and still hasnt lightened out properly. Some do it quicker.

This bitch is the mum of Brads (k9kutz) girl bubbles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just letting you know that all blues and silver both start off black. Then they fade out into their colour. Blue look terrible as they are changing. Sometimes they look dirty, its a pretty bad blue really. My little bitch is starting to go blue but couldnt get the right light for the pic. She is looking blue on the backend like the dane. Will try to get better pics next week.

You can see the change in her face and on her body. She is nearly 3 yrs and still hasnt lightened out properly. Some do it quicker.

This bitch is the mum of Brads (k9kutz) girl bubbles.
Yeah this is what I thought blues should look like start off black then fade a little.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Actualy I have been wondering that myself. The poodle that just won my heart when I first started doing tons of poo's was what I would have called blue at the time, now I guess you would call her silver? I wish I had a picture of her but she is a lovely dark-ish gun metal grey, not the light platinum silver I see so much of. I actualy set out looking for what I thought was a blue but ran into the same thing you did Roxy. Even the adult photos of blue looked almost black and that wasnt what I was thinking of. So I just assumed silvers could be lighter or darker depending on genetics. I picked Saleen based on a photo of her sire who's silver marking (he's a party color) were nice and dark. I thought to ask about those only after I had paid the deposit and was slightly disapointed to learn that picture was taken at a much younger age and he had faded into more of a platinum silver. Oh well. I know Beanie will be beatiful either way, but I sure wish I could expect her to be on the darker side of thing. LoL, then again I can't dye a darker dog so light silver is right up my alley :p

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Billy is blue and at 8 months is still quite black looking except for a slight fade on the front of his muzzle. When outside in the sun, all the ends of his fur have a reddish purple haze to them. It's different.I suspect he is going to take a long time to clear. And, yes, he was born black. Our Carly that we lost on the other hand was black and white. When she was outside in the sun, her fur took on a bluish/black color. Very different from Billy's coat.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That Poodle Roxy, was probably just a real cleared blue. Some clear more then others and the shades can be quite different. Also, if you breed blue to blue it can wash out more and more and make the color lighter.

That handler should know what color the Poodle he is handling. They live with those dogs and talk to the breeders regularly.

Also, blacks can gray out early and pe mistaken for a blue. Eli is pretty dark right now but is getting lots of guard hairs. We are pretty sure he is going to gray out like his mother did. Thats also something Karen Sisco told me about the lines in Eli. Eli's mother is out of Karens Mr Hollywood. The blacks evidentally gray out early with that line.

Im learning there are several different things that can happen with a Poodles coat. A breed with so many different looks. Love It!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Actualy I have been wondering that myself. The poodle that just won my heart when I first started doing tons of poo's was what I would have called blue at the time, now I guess you would call her silver? I wish I had a picture of her but she is a lovely dark-ish gun metal grey, not the light platinum silver I see so much of. I actualy set out looking for what I thought was a blue but ran into the same thing you did Roxy. Even the adult photos of blue looked almost black and that wasnt what I was thinking of. So I just assumed silvers could be lighter or darker depending on genetics. I picked Saleen based on a photo of her sire who's silver marking (he's a party color) were nice and dark. I thought to ask about those only after I had paid the deposit and was slightly disapointed to learn that picture was taken at a much younger age and he had faded into more of a platinum silver. Oh well. I know Beanie will be beatiful either way, but I sure wish I could expect her to be on the darker side of thing. LoL, then again I can't dye a darker dog so light silver is right up my alley :p
Yes there are both platinum silver and silver grey. silver grey is like a steel grey. The silver grey is much darker, I just love it.

This dog here is a true blue. Its very hard to get a really nice blue and now it seems he is going silver.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=20537

Ive watched him grow, he started off dark and now look at him.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Billy is blue and at 8 months is still quite black looking except for a slight fade on the front of his muzzle. When outside in the sun, all the ends of his fur have a reddish purple haze to them. It's different.I suspect he is going to take a long time to clear. And, yes, he was born black. Our Carly that we lost on the other hand was black and white. When she was outside in the sun, her fur took on a bluish/black color. Very different from Billy's coat.
OT, spoospirit, your baby face is to die for. Gonna come over and squeeze her cheeks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes there are both platinum silver and silver grey. silver grey is like a steel grey. The silver grey is much darker, I just love it.

This dog here is a true blue. Its very hard to get a really nice blue and now it seems he is going silver.

Oh Just love Rameze, Nancy. Bred by the always amazing Nicole Tetof and owned by the gorgeous and vivacious honey Wendy Talyntire here is Oz, thanks for sharing with the forum :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

He is beautiful!!! Like a russian blue cat!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh Just love Rameze, Nancy. Bred by the always amazing Nicole Tetof and owned by the gorgeous and vivacious honey Wendy Talyntire here is Oz, thanks for sharing with the forum :)
Dont you mean Roger, Brad :p

Yes he is gorgeous p4p.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That Standard is a very pretty blue. I bet thats what Roxy seen at the show.

Yes the bitch looked exactly like that dog. Allan said she was a blue and then , I heard them talking about how people dye blue dogs black to win lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes the bitch looked exactly like that dog. Allan said she was a blue and then , I heard them talking about how people dye blue dogs black to win lol
I know people dye crappy blacks, black here, to get a good intense looking colour. Dont know why you would really bother dyeing a blue, balck.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts