Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have photos of their blue puppies with light faces as puppies... and how they matured I am having a hard time finding any...?

Any pictures or info would be amazing!

I only seem to find ones that where black until they hit 2-3 years and then became blue..

Thanks

Hugo has a light face and a brown hue to his coat in the sunlight.

Note: The photo of him laying down is not edited in anyway. That is his colouring in direct sunlight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
check out minipoo's thread on the blue dakota (her blue mini) in the 52-week sub forum. quite a few photos you can compare to.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have 2 blue Standards. My older girl was supposed to be black and was quite black until around 2 1/2 or so, and then started to blue out. I will see if I can find some pics of her progression

I knew my younger girl was blue from the start. I've attached pics of her at 10 weeks and 12 weeks, both taken after I had just clipped her FFT and bathed her, but not yet scissored her. I do all kinds of performance events with both of my dogs and I have also attached pics of the younger one at agility trials at about 2 1/2 and 3. The one where she is lighter colored is the one where she is 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
The rusty brown tinges on a dog that otherwise appears black are not always due to sun bleaching and are sometimes an indication that the dog may, in fact, be a blue.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I knew I had this picture somewhere, but with over 4000 pictures (mostly of the dogs!) it took me a while.

This is Jasper at 14 weeks and Piper at 12. They are in the same lighting but it's quite obvious that Jasper's face is much lighter. They both had their faces shaved with a #10 blade the day before. Piper has since shown signs of being blue herself, but she's greying much slower than Jasper is. At just over a year, he is almost entirely a dark steel grey rather than black. His topknot, which is the longest hair, still has some black. I shave the rest of him every few weeks so it's much more obvious he's greying there.

He's much lighter than most blues at his age, but still much darker than a silver

Attachments

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
And as far as dogs that look black and then suddenly go blue at 2 or 3, in my opinion, these aren't true blues. A true blue is obviously blue by 8 weeks. There are a lot of "off blacks" out there that are mislabeled as blue and just end up really light black. Some people use the word blue very loosely. We thought one of my girls might be blue because as a puppy her face had a brown hue and her coat always looked brown-ish instead of black. I still get asked if she's blue a lot because she does look blue next to a black. But next to a blue, she looks black. In reality, she is just off black.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your input. I do believe our boy is a blue. We would love if Hugo turns a nice medium grey but only time will tell. We do adore him though just as he is. Please post more photos if you have any I love seeing the possible outcomes of blue as there are so many shades of grey they come in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts