Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I was wondering if you all could tell me the difference between a blue and a bad black. Someone suggested Sora is a blue and we just got her groomed and her face did seem lighter, also the hair in her legs seems brown. But honestly I have no idea about colors 馃槥 She is my first spoo and I honestly thought she was black until one of our wonderful members mentioned blue. I hope this picture of her helps! 馃槉

Attachments

Registered
It is difficult to tell in the photo, and then your mention of swimming in a pool also causes one to wonder about the effect of chlorine, and sun bleaching, too. Did she have white markings on her muzzle? I ask because my male blue parti had white on his muzzle that gradually became less obvious as he got lighter. Blue is tricky as some dogs continue to change color for years.This photo is from when he was 3 years.
and this 7 months old.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It is difficult to tell in the photo, and then your mention of swimming in a pool also causes one to wonder about the effect of chlorine, and sun bleaching, too. Did she have white markings on her muzzle? I ask because my male blue parti had white on his muzzle that gradually became less obvious as he got lighter. Blue is tricky as some dogs continue to change color for years.This photo is from when he was 3 years. View attachment 472431 and this 7 months old.
Thank you so much for your reply. I wouldn't say she has white on her muzzle but she definitely has a lighter ring around her mouth area.
BTW he is such a GORGEOUS boy!!! 馃槏

Premium Member
I have a bad black - mostly due to his parti mom He has a white spot under one of his paws and under his chin - but really has is starting to have white hairs, mixed in through out his coat - he will never be an inky black. He is only 6, so not that old to have the white hairs mixed in his coat -As a puppy he was black - for a blue shaving the face should give you a better sense,if puppy will turn blue.

Registered
Hi everyone! I was wondering if you all could tell me the difference between a blue and a bad black. Someone suggested Sora is a blue and we just got her groomed and her face did seem lighter, also the hair in her legs seems brown. But honestly I have no idea about colors 馃槥 She is my first spoo and I honestly thought she was black until one of our wonderful members mentioned blue. I hope this picture of her helps! 馃槉
I think she will be blue. How old is she?

Registered
Yes I definitely see the difference. How do you know when they are a "bad black"?
I think a bad black just gets white hairs very early so they look more gray-black. Bad blacks should still have black hair but just intermingled with white. Misha has some white guard hairs at 2 yrs old. People say American blacks tend to get a lot of white hairs while European ones have been more careful to breed lasting blacks. I don't know. Surely some lines get white hairs earlier than others.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I think a bad black just gets white hairs very early so they look more gray-black. Bad blacks should still have black hair but just intermingled with white. Misha has some white guard hairs at 2 yrs old. People say American blacks tend to get a lot of white hairs while European ones have been more careful to breed lasting blacks. I don't know. Surely some lines get white hairs earlier than others.
Oh ok! I didn't know that. Thank you so much for the info it was sooo helpful.

Registered
Yes I definitely see the difference. How do you know when they are a "bad black"?
A bad black is a black dog with white hair mixed in with the black. A blue dog doesn鈥檛 have white hair, their hair is a distinct greyish color of variable intensity. It鈥檚 really different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts