Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends. Lincoln is 10 months now. I have a question about his parti coloring. I have noticed lately that his black face has been changing slightly. Right around his nose area the color seems to be brownish- rootbeer.... kinda like he stuck his nose in some dust. It isn't noticable right after his short groom, but after a couple weeks when the hair starts to come in is when I notice it until he gets groomed again. The same thing is happening on the leg where his black pom starts.
Is this a "bad black" or is he turning "blue" or is this totally normal? Thanks for any comments. I would post pics but I am not sure it will show. THANKS
PS- the Sire is a brown/white parti and the Dam a black/white parti.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Could be any of the above probably. Keep in mind black hair can also discolor from everyday wear and tear. Bones, food, sun etc... all can cause a brown/red tint. Is the pom that's discoloring one he uses for holding bones/food?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hopefully our color experts come out ;) But I believe parti factored dogs are prone to this. Suri gets something similar as she matures, its also around her eyes and a few little spots here and there.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You wont know the real true color till about age 2. But it probably is because of the brown and black mixing. Root beer is a funny way to describe it. He is very pretty no matter what.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Been dealing with this with Billy for a year now. He had the same rootbeer coloring on his muzzle and over most of his body for a long time.

Then, a few months ago, while grooming him, I noticed that he was definitely not the same color anymore. He was lightning up all over. This lightning goes right down to the skin and is all over his body. There was discussion on whether he might be a bad black. I think now that he is a blue that is clearing slowly. He is registered blue. In any case, I hope to have him DNA'd in the near future to finally put the color question to bed for us.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas has this on his chops when the hair gets longer, and I see it a lot on dogs at my work. I believe it's staining, like you would see on light colored dogs. The staining is a build up of waste of bacteria and yeast that live in moist, warm environments. Its on longer hair more because the moisture stays there longer. Harmless though.

That's just my prediction. xP

·
Registered
918 Posts
Vegas has this on his chops when the hair gets longer, and I see it a lot on dogs at my work. I believe it's staining, like you would see on light colored dogs. The staining is a build up of waste of bacteria and yeast that live in moist, warm environments. Its on longer hair more because the moisture stays there longer. Harmless though.

That's just my prediction. xP
Well.. thanks for that vivid description :D. Now I'm going to start shaving Jasper's face every week even though I'm really bad at it LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Well.. thanks for that vivid description :D. Now I'm going to start shaving Jasper's face every week even though I'm really bad at it LOL.
But just think how GOOD you'll get at it if you shave it every week! Practice, practice, practice!! :lol:

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
NK! Oh, my. I'm glad I'm a frequent shaver (though when I start thinking of it as yeast & bacteria instead of discoloration-I have one of those 'is she blue?' dogs- I may well step it up!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts