Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Poor Peggy ! Yes, Beckie sometimes has bloody stools when she's having gastric problems. Do you have gastro food you can put her on for a while ?
I've never tried any special foods. Is there one that you and the dogs like best?

She didn't have any issue after her canned chicken yesterday, so we put kibble down in the evening and crossed our fingers. She ate that, too, and seemed fine. But she's not pooped since yesterday morning. That'll be the true test.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Aww, poor Peggy. Pogo would sometimes have blood in his poop during bouts of gastric distress. In his younger years he would recover pretty quickly if I took him off kibble for a couple days and fed him a slurry of cooked rice and lean ground meat.
Peggy picked the meat from the rice the last time I tried this. I've never seen a dog turn their nose up at rice!

She loves bread, but I imagine it's not great for dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
Peggy picked the meat from the rice the last time I tried this. I've never seen a dog turn their nose up at rice!

She loves bread, but I imagine it's not great for dogs.
Ha, yes, Pogo used to ignore the rice too. I had to be careful about the proportions. Usually I added 1/4 cup uncooked rice to a pound of lean ground meat and a few cups of water, allowing it to simmer all together into a slurry. He was usually willing to eat the rice once it had absorbed tasty meat juices. Using ground meat made it harder for him to pick out the extra tasty bits.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I've never tried any special foods. Is there one that you and the dogs like best?
I use the one from the vet, I think it’s Royal canin but not sure. Both Merlin and Beckie like it and they make it canned as well so it’s even better. I can check the brand if you’re interested.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
I use the Royal Canin - it is expensive, but worth it for the almost instant improvement: Sensitivity Control Can Wet - Royal Canin (Don't know why it's coming up with the Australian website!)

Both dogs like it, and it really does seem to help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is probably a useless recommendation - dietary issues are so individual - but Kohl has IBD and it turns out Orijen's Six Fish is perfect for him. If he eats that he's golden. Other foods and it's diarrhea that won't stop without a course of steroids.

As it happens, Kohl is also picky about what he eats. He'll won't eat anything that isn't primarily meat and/or fish. Or a Greenie. Greenies are special for some reason. There is no way he'd eat rice.

This comes in handy when people give Kohl a treat despite me telling them not to, they'll make him sick. Inevitably, he takes the treat, rolls it around his mouth for a couple of seconds analyzing the taste, then leans down and spits it out at their feet with an audible PTOO. They're visibly offended. I'm visibly amused.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is probably a useless recommendation - dietary issues are so individual - but Kohl has IBD and it turns out Orijen's Six Fish is perfect for him. If he eats that he's golden. Other foods and it's diarrhea that won't stop without a course of steroids.

As it happens, Kohl is also picky about what he eats. He'll won't eat anything that isn't primarily meat and/or fish. Or a Greenie. Greenies are special for some reason. There is no way he'd eat rice.

This comes in handy when people give Kohl a treat despite me telling them not to, they'll make him sick. Inevitably, he takes the treat, rolls it around his mouth for a couple of seconds analyzing the taste, then leans down and spits it out at their feet with an audible PTOO. They're visibly offended. I'm visibly amused.
Why is it so funny when dogs spit things out?? It always is. My last girl only liked popcorn with butter on it. If you have her a dry piece, she'd politely take it, but.....PTOO. Lol.

And thanks for the recommendation! You may have just made life much easier for someone who's struggling to find a good food for their poodle. :)

We feed Farmina Ancestral Grains Chicken & Pomegranate and Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Whole Food Clusters Beef.
I'm very glad to hear it wasn't anything serious and that Peggy recovered quickly.
Nope, nothing serious. Phew! I think it was just the pot roast fat. But we're seriously toying with the idea of letting her sleep with us at night now. I don't like that she was desperate to get out and I didn't know. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I use the Royal Canin - it is expensive, but worth it for the almost instant improvement: Sensitivity Control Can Wet - Royal Canin (Don't know why it's coming up with the Australian website!)

Both dogs like it, and it really does seem to help.
Thank you! And thanks to @Dechi, too.

I will get this if we ever have an experience again like we did in the spring, when it dragged on for a month. I withheld her regular food for so long, I think I actually created more digestive upset. It's good to have something on hand that's balanced, nutritious, and easily digestible.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh dear. It's very early here on the west coast, but I've been wide awake for hours because someone had diarrhea again...in her crate. :(

Luckily, we already had her annual checkup booked for this morning, so we'll get the vet's opinion. But I'm hesitant to do her vaccinations.

For the moment I'm focusing on convincing her to go back to sleep so my husband can get some more sleep, but she's suddenly decided it's playtime and only the biggest, loudest, bounciest ball will do.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
Oh dear indeed! I was up late with Sophy, you up early with Peggy. I do recommend the Royal Canin food, although for the price you could probably order in from the best restaurant in town. Wish I knew what their magic ingredient is...!

Feel better soon Peggy - upset tums are no fun.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'll be honest - Our vet is very good, but I don't have a lot of faith in her ability to figure it out unless it's something major or systemic. Peggy's only other notable bout of diarrhea occurred in the spring and followed a similar pattern: On and off for about a month, with total normalcy for days between each episode. We made zero progress on a diagnosis.

This time I'm pushing for a proper giardia test, as the only common denominator I can think of was that she drank from standing water. Oh, and both times the first episode was preceded by a stressful experience. But she's had loads of stressful experiences with no issue.

At least today there's been no blood.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Congratulations and I'm so sorry to hear that 🤷‍♀️
Lol. That pretty much sums it up.

She did at least prescribe a round of metronidazole. This will be Peggy's first time on antibiotics, so hoping it goes smoothly.

And happy to say that Peggy still loves going to the vet! She had the whole staff laughing and they said for us to keep an eye on Facebook, as they'll be posting photos of her.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts