Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read some upsetting articles today about bloat. i know about bloat, have read about bloat, worked for a vet so i witnessed bloat, still it scares me whenever something comes up about it. however, i know education is the best answer, so i read. today, i read that RAISED FOOD DISHES are a culprit in causing bloat! i've always read just the opposite. now i need to rasie the question: what are the rest of you doing? are you using raised dishes or floor feeding? have any of you come across this new finding??

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I have heard that raised dishes may be a factor in causing bloat. I feed my dogs from bowls on the floor.

Lucybug goes into the vet tomorrow for her spay surgery and we're also going to do the gastropexy to help prevent torsion if (God forbid) she ever does bloat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know of that surgery, too. i have to make an appt to have jessie spayed, also. i will speak to my vet about this. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am also aware of the new finding that raised dishes can cause bloat. Of course when they first came out they were suppose to be good at preventing it. I've always fed my guys from dishes that sit directly on the floor and when they it raw, it's just outside or in the garage on the cement.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would feed on the floor. I have heard this as well about the raised food dishes. My dog eats raw on the floor either standing or laying down.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
All of the Spoos I have lived with for 47 years have eaten in bowls on the floor. And touch wood, we have never had a case of bloat in our dogs or their offspring.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When Lacey bloated, her meals were served in a bowl on the floor. I still serve her meals in a bowl on the floor. I've talked to others who have dogs that have bloated and some do on the floor, some do raised. Much of the information now suggests that it has more to do with body type and genetics than bowl placement, type of food, or feeding style.
I know that I will have a gastropexy performed at the time of spay on all of my future poodles, until they find an exact cause. JMO

·
Registered
752 Posts
I throw Liberty's kibble all over inside floor of her crate, because she's a gulper, and I don't want to take any chances. Plus that I think she enjoys the 2 minute hunt :).

·
Registered
593 Posts
After my lab bloated (twice within 7 weeks) I was doing a lot of reading.. for just about everything that said do this this way I found another article that said no do it that way..for instance raised vs non raised bowls .. wet the food no don't wet the food.. basically I tried different things to see what worked best for my dog..also as far as I can tell my lab never bloated for any of the reasons that are generally listed (of course my vet tells me that my dogs always do things weirdly..LOL)..Riley bloated at age 7..he just turned 12.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Mine eat of the floor.
Charly had raised bowl where he lived before.
But I changed it, he was very stiff in the neck at first but now he is fine.

All my dogs are very slow eaters except for Vaka :) but she is still a baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts