Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, has anyone's dog ever had bloat? What was your experience? How prevalent is it? I'm just wondering if I should invest in pet insurance or not. Thanks to all.
Julie

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
If you get pet insurance make sure it's covered... a lot of things I've read are "not" covered that are common for the breed. IE: I saw one pet insurance that didn't cover hip problems in GS, etc.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
As the others have mentioned, make Sure you read all the fine print on the insurance!! Some wont cover genetic problems, some have very strict guidelines on what they consider "pre-exsisting", etc. Personally, i dont trust pet insurance. I woud put away into a seperate savings account the money that would of gone to insurance and use that for emergencies etc.

There is not much you can do to prevent bloat. It is a Highly genetic problem. Check with your breeder if any of your puppies close relatives have ever bloated. Dont run/play him for about an hour before and after a meal. Know the signs of bloat!!! That is the biggest livesaver if your dog bloats. Get them in right away! Unfortunatlly standard poodles are very high on the list of bloat breeds. Just be watchful.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I agree with bigpoodleperson, no exercise an hour before or after feeding. Also, avoid feeding once a day, instead feed twice a day when they are adults and three times a day when they are under a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts