Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that had the unfortunate ordeal of having a dog bloat, what are the costs associated with the surgery? I am sure it can somewhat vary on the vet and market but I am curious how this works in an emergency. I HOPE this never happens but I do like to be prepared for the worse case situations. I am considering insurance on the spoos just because of the health issues that tend to pop up.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
About $2200. This included around $800 in emergency room fees to stabilze my bitch and then $1400 for exploratory surgery, spay and tack.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm in Canada and when my first poodle bloated for the first time (he bloated 3 times total in his life) - he had the tacking surgery with the first bloat and the bill was "about" $2,500 7 or 8 years ago. He bloated twice more after the surgery and each bloat episode was about $2,000. Ouch.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This was about 5 years ago but Riley's 2 bloat surgeries where around 1,500 each and then a trip to WSU vet school for his 3rd surgery to retack his stomach was about 1,200 plust 3 days in a hotel so we all 3 ended up right around the 1,500 mark

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Geeeezzzzzz :wacko:- one needs a separate Mutual Fund account just to cover possible spoo aliments :eek:hwell:

So - does anybody actually have "pet insurance" ??? Would it cover things like this :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Lacey's bloat treatment and surgery was $2250 for an emergency clinic, 2 a.m. That was superbowl weekend this year. I used my care credit card to pay for it. Anyone can apply for care credit online. Anything over $500 (I think) is 12-18 months same as cash. I applied for the card over a year ago just to have in the case of an emergency. You just have to check with your vet or on the website to see if your vet takes it.
Also, I did learn after the fact that you can have your dog spayed at the same time. The emergency vet told me no, but my regular vet (who I trust very much) said we should have done it all at the same time. At least my regular vet does laprascopic (sp?) spay so we won't really have any recovery time.
You can also have your poodle's stomach tacked as a routine surgery to help prevent bloat and torsion later in life.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This was about 14 years ago, but I had a great dane who bloated and twisted. His total cost was approx. $3,000.00 by a vet school. This was for immediate surgery, and about 5 days in ICU.

Side note, the vets and students were increcible and one student wrote her dissertation about my dane and his illness, surgery and recovery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts