Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys, boys, boys. It dawned on me yesterday, how much slower and more comic the training is of a boy dog. My experience is that what a female pup can master in training, seems to be much longer to accomplish with a boy. Fenton will be 6 months next week, and he is still a bundle of energy, fun, joy and has no mind for training...it is coming...slowly.....

I feel like we are in a race and I can not win. I am the rabbit, bouncing for the finish line, and he is the turtle....going at his own pace, .............. I hear a whisper, patience....be so very patient...he will be fine, in his own time.....

Is it just me?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It must be you... boys are perfect. :angel2:

I am the first to raise my arm high and declare "I am a faulty individual!" Such freedom in such a simple declaration. I am the common denominator in all my boys trainings.....poor Fenton (mamma loves you)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm new to puppies, but I can tell you that I "feel" people boys mature at a slower rate than girls. I have socially-young children - they are always a joy, but they are less organized, have shorter attention span than girl counter-part, more impulsive, and more risk taking. I have to tell them the same thing 100x before they fully understand. I know my boys are not perfect and there are more socially mature boys, but if I *can* and *may* generalise, girls do seem more "put together" than boys.

But.... The best part about boys is that they are so so loyal to their moms :). I get so much unconditional love from all four of my boys - 3 boys and a pup

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm new to puppies, but I can tell you that I "feel" people boys mature at a slower rate than girls. I have socially-young children - they are always a joy, but they are less organized, have shorter attention span than girl counter-part, more impulsive, and more risk taking. I have to tell them the same thing 100x before they fully understand. I know my boys are not perfect and there are more socially mature boys, but if I *can* and *may* generalise, girls do seem more "put together" than boys.

But.... The best part about boys is that they are so so loyal to their moms :). I get so much unconditional love from all four of my boys - 3 boys and a pup

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I believe girls of the human form and girls of the canine form, are far more temperamental than their boy counterparts and can pull their moody drama cards without exception. Now girl horses, watch out!

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
It isn't just you. Although Lily was sort of a jerk when she was 15 months old, Javelin is really a jerk at 15 months old. He has his brilliant moments and has come a long way since his birthday, but...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sorry, but I don't agree with you. I've had more males than females, because that was what I found when I had lost a beloved poodle. The easiest dog I ever house trained was an apricot mini male who came home with me at the beginning of August at 8 weeks of age. I had to go back to work in September (teacher). The first day I gated him off in my kitchen with lots of newspaper. When I got home at the end of the day, he hadn't relieved himself anywhere--just rearranged the paper. He never had accidents after that until age 16 when he became a bit senile. My current female, age 8, doesn't always make it through the night without a bowel movement. My 11 year old silver male is perfect overnight. I think dogs like humans are individuals.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I believe girls of the human form and girls of the canine form, are far more temperamental than their boy counterparts and can pull their moody drama cards without exception. Now girl horses, watch out!

You know, it's funny - when it came to horses I always got along best with mares (usually the really moody ones because I enjoyed the challenge).

When it comes to dogs I've always preferred boys though. I feel like Hans has matured slowly (he's almost 3 and is just getting "grown up") but he's such a happy go lucky, willing dog. If I would like him to do something, then he would like to do it. He sees no point in being uncooperative.

On the other hand, Ian's parents have a female golden. She's much more opinionated about what she does or does not want to do. I feel like If we ever get a second dog while Hans is still with us, I might cave and get a female just because he gets along much better with girls but I love my boys.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I always keep the 'Females are Fiesty, Males are Mellow' rule in the back of my mind. I've met many exceptions that prove that rule, but it does seem to apply in most cases. I have a female that is such a little Princess - but she really is just as in your face and cuddly as any male I've ever known. I do have a little male that is a bit of a princess, though, too. My daughter says I make them that way. I think she's wrong. ;-)

And horses - omg, me and mares! We always seem to PMS at the same time. lol I do much better with geldings, I even do just fine with stallions, mares - nuh huh.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read once and remember always:
Stallions are from Mars, Mares are from
Venus, Geldings are from heaven. That equates to, stallions are awesome, show them what to do, and they'll lead you there with aplomb; a gelding will let you guide him there; a mare, if you can collaborate with her and allow her to use her mind, she will carry you to the gold!

I love the boys and girls equally in horses, dogs, cats, human form and beyond.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts