Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I love my thinning shears, i think they are one of those things that you don't miss them till you have used them and then don't have them around.

I never noticed needing them before buying a pair but now I love them. It makes blending stuff easier, i do sometimes use them for dematting as well and they make that a lot easier.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I use mine on a lot of straight coated breeds, but I've never actually used them on a poodle, only curved shears, straight shears, and clippers. That's not to say you can't! But like Aiden said, I've used them to demat dogs. Sometimes there's a mat that's just not going to brush out, so I stick a comb between the mat and the hair and cut at the base of the mat to thin it out (the comb ensures I don't pinch the skin with my thinning shears.)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, I use them all the time on flat coated breeds, but I've never used them on a poodle/bichon type coat before, so it'd depend on what you're doing as to if you need them or not.... If you're a groomer of other breeds; definitely. If you just have the poodles, then no.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your help. I have decided not to buy the set since it sounds like I don't need the thinning shears. I got talked out of buying Kenchiis and ended up buying 9" straight and curves from Adam's New Edge Sharpening. They are located on the island close to us and they just started making their own shears. She says they are very nice and similiar to the Kenchiis. Much cheaper also. I can try and return if I don't like it but since I have never had Kenchiis I don't have anything to compare to. She says she prefers them over the Kenchii poodles. I guess for $125 a pair I can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I couldn't live without my thinners/blenders ! but most of the time they are used on other breeds.

the one time i used them on a poo was to do a "clean face" look but the dog was very prone to clipper irritaton even with longer blades, according to the owner. moot point b/c she wouldnt tolerate the clippers on her face anyway. i can't ever recall using them on a poodle for anything else...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts