Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night and today...after Misa's walk...the pads of one of her feet starts to bleed...Im not sure if its a cut or it could be cracking from the cold weather.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to put on it to help it heal.

It doesnt seem to bother her and she still wants to use that foot. Last night was her longest walk she has had...it was about 4 miles. Would it be common for pads to bleed after such a long walk??

Thank you for any help you can give!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Does your community get so cold that they salt the sidewalks and streets? If so if *may* be a chemical burn. Have you ever tried putting table salt on your hand then putting an ice cube on it? You get a chemical burn from it. You can maybe take some wipes along with you to wipe the salt from her feet, or have her wear booties until it warms up?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would wash the feet (all of them) with mild soap and warm water, and then rinse well and pat dry.

after that I would put some neosporin or bag balm on the raw pad(s) and put socks on her, you can secure them with vet wrap.
In the future put waterproof boots on her before a walk.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Make sure to clean the salt out (if there is any) and put a bit of neosporin on them.

:(
Poor girl.

Flip's pads bleed even when there isn't salt when we're at the dog park.
I'm not sure if it's the sharp ice or the 'snowballs' that splay his feat.

We are working on getting him to wear boots, but it's not going over very well with him. :rolffleyes: It might be a good option for you if she tolerates them, though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree, wash them good and pat them dry and put some meds on them. Neosporin is good to help heal it but I have to say, having had horses, I love bag balm, not only does it help heal, it coats it to protect it. For feet, it would stay on longer, in my personal opinion, and coat the foot better. If it is a salt problem... and even if it isn't... it may be best to put boots on her till the winter weather is over or at least till she heals when you take her out.

Best of luck! Poor girl, I bet that feels terrible. :( You're a good mommy to take care of her!

edited.. I looked up your profile.. yep.. good MOMMY...lol.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you ruled out salt as the problem then i would recommend getting some dog boots...When Mister goes on runs or bike rides with me he runs so fast that he rips his pads open. They are just very soft and weak so the boots help a lot and he doesnt seem to mind them at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! After closer inspection ...its not her pad...what ever it was...it was between her toes....she hasn't had any more blood or any complaints...she is getting her spay tomorrow...which im starting to get a little nervous about. So I'm going to get her vet to check it out anyways. I'm fairly certain that it was a thorn. We avoided longer walks since. I can't wait to get her out for longer walk again...she runs around crazy when her walks are short.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yea to another spay! May she heal quickly and get LOTS of extra kisses. I know I had some anxiety taking Zulee in. She came home and got lots of attention, so for her, it was a good day. She got her stitches out today and is so happppy!

You'll really be glad to have it behind you and she will be glad not to deal with that every heat. What a wonderful gift! <---OK...I'm a little envious.

I'm glad to hear her paw pads are ok, and keep us updated on her spay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts