Poodle Forum banner

Blaming the wrong one

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Fenris-wolf 
#1 ·
This morning my husband put the dogs out in the yard before 7 AM. As is typical, Pogo saw something that excited him and started barking. The pup joined in. I brought them both in, because its really not fair for my neighbors to have to listen to barking dogs.

A few minutes ago I again heard the cacophony of poodle voices outside. I got up, thoroughly ticked at having to interrupt work, to go bring the dogs in again. Except...it wasn't my pair. One of my neighbors with a leash reactive small standard had encountered a much larger standard (probably 75 pounds) that very rarely walks in our neighborhood. The owner of the smaller dog, which was having a complete meltdown, had dragged him into my front yard while the big dog woofed back at him from the street.

I'm sorry the other dogs had an excited confrontation, but it does make me feel better that other peoples dogs are idiots too.

#3 ·
I am amazed that you have that many standard poodles in your neighborhood! I walk all the time in my large suburban neighborhood and never encounter another standard. I do see a couple if I walk in a nearby state park but that is about it.

#4 ·
The neighborhood has had one or two in addition to my pair for probably the last 20 years. The older ones lived further away, and one owner used to walk at something like 5 AM, so I rarely saw them. I think these dogs might have died of old age by now. The little spoo lives quite near, so I see him daily. The big one lives some distance away, so I only see him when one of us is on an extra long walk.

#6 ·
We have a beautiful silver standard that walks by daily with his humans and a collie. Between the standard and the collie, at least one of them is barking at all times as they go alllll the way down the street, and then allllll the way back up.

It can be irritating when it spooks Peggy, but mostly I'm just so impressed by the owners' dogged commitment to these mortifying walks.

#7 ·
It can be irritating when it spooks Peggy, but mostly I'm just so impressed by the owners' dogged commitment to these mortifyi
Just think of it as good distraction training. Lol.

We have two other spoo's in the next neighborhood over, one on each side. I never I mean never see them. Someone near us has a little poodle and drives by in her convertible daily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.