Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly working on getting everything I need to do Zulee's grooming. I have been doing FFT with a #10 and have a pair of tiny weenie scissors (for human hair) to trim the rest of her. These scissors have a 2" cutting length. UGGH!

I can either get blades, combs, or shears for now. I want to buy right because with one dog to groom, I don't see myself wanting to upgrade. My overall goals are to shorten grooming time and get a nice finished look.

I would like to get a blade, possibly a 3 3/4" Andis Ultra Edge Steel blade. At PetEdge, this would be about $75 with shipping for both the skip tooth and finishing blades.

The thing is that I like the body to be fluffy. With a 1/2" trim the blade would give, I'm worried it might be too short. She currently sports a 1" trim on her body. I do like the velvety look of a shorter trim, especially with longer hair on the legs. Not having used a blade before (for the body), I'm worried I will get it and not like the trim.

I might be better off getting the Wahl Stainless Clipper Combs along with a #30 blade. This would definitely give me some options on trying new trims. This option costs about $70 with shipping.

Or... I could get some nice shears and continue to scissor the body as I am now. I like the Heritage 8 1/2" shears (Canine Collection). I would get a pair of straight and curved shears. Right now they are backordered until early January which is ok with me. For a 12X12 mini, is this the right size of shear to get? This option would cost about $88 with shipping. I've heard a lot about the Stiletto shears. They would be $131 with shipping, so I would have to wait on my next purchase before I got these. Are they worth waiting for? I only want to buy one set of scissors.

I'm trying to stay below $100 with my total cost. I'm also going to compare my options on Amazon to see if I can get free shipping. Any suggestions on the tools you prefer to use, or why you won't use something in particular would really be helpful on what I should get first.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
IMO, get the wahl stainless steel combs. They will give you the best range of everything to keep you going for much longer than if you just buy one blade. It will give you everything up to an inch long!!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was going to be my first choice. Although I have to admit, the idea of having some nice shears really has me thinking.

Thanks too, for letting me know that I can use them with a #10 blade.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The combs are a good place to start, but you will need some scissors as well to do a nice job. And while technically you can use a 10 under the combs, the finish will be much smoother with a 30.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, and the whole angle that the combs sit on the blades is designed for a 30 blade, but at a pinch they do still work over a 10. never let them go near a 40 though; they'll shatter the teeth!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Shears

These are the Shears that I use I absolutely love them http://www.pfwh.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=6102C&fe_feedid=3
...Bought my first pair from a vendor at the Tucson /Dog show and just bought my second pair last year. I do alot os scissoring. I feel like it makes for a nice look Nice look smooth coat .. We just did our guys last weekend.. I have never had much luck with the snap on combs. So I wonder if I am doing something wrong. ???? It would sure save time...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have never had much luck with the snap on combs. So I wonder if I am doing something wrong. ???? It would sure save time...[/QUOTE]

Ahhh... you need a Clipper Vac! I don't know how anyone grooms without a system like that. I'm not a groomer but the little I have done, it's so hard without it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you're probably using the plastic ones, yes? Try the stainless steel ones, they're * entirely* different. I HATE plastic ones. I ADORE the metal ones. The difference is like chalk and cheese!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
you're probably using the plastic ones, yes? Try the stainless steel ones, they're * entirely* different. I HATE plastic ones. I ADORE the metal ones. The difference is like chalk and cheese!
If you are talking to me you are correct . When I got into poodles I had all of my Setter stuff and my husbands grooming stuff from his life with spoo and among it was a bunch of crappy plastic combs... So the stainless ones will the fit an oster blade do you have a link so I can peek at them . You also suggest a 15 blade ?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have the heritage stilleto shears and they are just fine. I have both the straight and curved pairs. Definately started with a #15 blade and secondly added the #30. I got the Oster single speed (don't need the double speed) and the first pair lasted 6 or 7 years with no oiling or overt cleaning. Learned to oil the second pair and still use them regularly. They are easily over 10 years old. Never needed to use the metal combs. Plastic have worked fine, but you really need to spend the time to comb all the way from the skin and not with just a slikerhich gets the top hair. Best advise get a table or make one!!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't have a link right now, but if you google 'wahl stainless steel combs' they'll come up I'm certain. They fit best over a 30 blade, but a 10 or 15 will do in a pinch. Never use them over a 40. 30 is best though! And yes, they'll fit over any other brand like oster & andis etc. They're not hugely cheap cos it's for a whole set that you buy rather than just being able to pick the lengths you want, but they are seriously soooooo much better than plastic ones you'll wonder why you waited so long to try them.

*edit to say* you don't need to have them brushed to perfection with the SS combs either, they'll go through a coat almost as good as any normal blade. I hated how any teeny tiny tangle or curl would stop the plastic ones in their tracks, the SS ones glide right on through. :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have 30 blades ....So you have to buy a whole set of combs I will google it thanks so much It will sure save my scissor fingers :) I scissored down my male, and he does look nice but my finger has a big lump on it HA HA !!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Be careful with the stainless steel combs, drop them and they break. Never have been able to find a place where you can buy them singularly.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Cool!! Thanks for the coupon code (hope it works!) I'm planning on getting a velocity dryer for Lucy for Christmas!! :) (OK, it's really for me, but I'll let her open it!) LOL!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Cool!! Thanks for the coupon code (hope it works!) I'm planning on getting a velocity dryer for Lucy for Christmas!! :) (OK, it's really for me, but I'll let her open it!) LOL!!
We just got a stand dryer for christmas, LOL. I put out the funds for an Edemco F7001, can't wait for it to arrive!! I'll use my Metro Air Force Commander for quick blasting of the hair and then do to the stand dryer for better heat and two hand control of the brushing and drying.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK...all sorts of Envy for a velocity dryer. :alien:

You'll have to post pictures of Harry as a big puff ball.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would have nothing but a stand dryer ever ! I like to be able to use both hands...As I said before I think mine could be classified antiques but they still work good.. I just sold one of my k 9 force dryers to a neighbor...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts