Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:
Believe I recently read a post about someone sharpening their own clipper blades at home. Don't remember what post or who was talking about doing this. If anyone recalls reading this in this forum or knows anything about sharpening at home, could you please advise me of what you use to do so. It would be very helpful to us if we could sharpen our own blades w/o having to take them in to a shop and then having to wait a few days to p/u.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry fuzbutz I don't knoiw but would be interested to find out if it is very difficult. I have to send mine to the eastern states and even though the company is quite fast the freight time means it can be a week or more to get them there and back.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and by the way Blue Fox, I as well as the others on here think your doggie cut is just great. I agree with you, I also like the top knot a little longer, but hey, it grows out real fast anyway. Your boys color sure has changed a lot, love the color, he is very handsome.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I think you can probably do a keyword search on the net and find some info on how to try it yourself. If you're in the US I also know that PetEdge sells at home sharpening supplies for both blades and scissors. I wouldn't in a million years try it personally. I send my stuff off to Ryans and it's perfect (so far) everytime.
The other option is to search around and see if somebody in your area offers the service. Most of those people a) have a place of bussiness that you can drop off and pick up from or b) will come to you sharpen up your tools and leave. I've had really crappy experience with this myself but thats because there aren't any good sharpeners in my area. For me I just send them off, I keep three or four of everything so I don't miss the stuff I send out for sharpening.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a sharpening kit I bought a few years back...its easy to do. The compound you use to "wet" the blades before you sharpen it is REALLY stinky...always has been.

Basically you dip the blade into the compound that looks like oil, then slowly slide the blade around in circles on the stone on one side, then on the other side to finish.

It comes with a brush like the one slippers come with (only bigger and more heavy duty) to clean off the metal shavings. I am sure if you looked at a few on-line stores that carry clippers and other grooming or hair cutting supplies you could find one.

I make my husband do the blade sharpening...he said it is a lot like sharpening a knife, which I also make him do! LOL

If you are just looking to have your blades sharpened there are many places you can send them...just google clipper blade sharpening services and I am sure you will find something.

I think my kit cost me about the same as sending off 5 blades at once, so it was worth it to me to just buy the kit. I say the investment was worth it...if you don't mind the stinky stuff or can get someone to do it for you!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IPP Thanx for the info about your sharpening kit, will look into it. My Hubbie has a knife sharpening stone with some stinky oil he uses when sharpening knives, sounds pretty much like the same thing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
No problem...let me know if you find a place with cheap supplies. I will need more of the stinky sharpening compound at some point! I am from the states but I know many places don't hesitate to ship over-seas these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check out this website. I have never used them but have heard good things about them. And their prices are very reasonable. www.bladesharpenerusa.com
I suppose it is time to get mine sharpened, but I would just assume go out and get a new blade. $29.99 is still cheaper than a groom job and then I have a new blade to work with and others as backups.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Velcro, thanx for the blade sharpener website, will go to the site later today. Oh, and by the way, you live in a beautiful state. We lived in Monmouth/Dallas Oregon in 1989-1990, then moved to Utah for 2 yrs. then back to Callifornia, where we started from originally. I think we are just Gypsies at heart. Now we would love to move to South Texas, where it is warmer. My Hubbie has back problems and his doctor told him he should live in warmer climate, he reccomended Palm Springs, Ca. My Hubbie laughed and said, yeah, I'll buy a place right next to one of the movie stars homes, like we could really afford to live there. The housing market is so bad here in California right now, that we would never be able to sell our home for a decent price anyway, so I guess we're stuck for a while. We live in Central Cal, and the winters here are so damp and we get a lot of tulley fog, goes right through your bones.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Don't make them longer than the guards (or should I say don't file downt he guards to much) or you get to deal with what I did.... on my self and MOose!! Raw skin, not fun... itchy for me, and we both got scabs. We were a match for about a week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts