Poodle Forum banner

Blacks makes the best whites?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bamsd619 
#1 ·
I'm a yahoo answers addict! And I came accross a very interesting question the other day - the replies where horrible thou!

It basically said that if you are looking for a white poodle the best whites come from black parents. I was wondering why this is.... I can understand that whites need to have the black points, is anyone familiar with this?

#4 · (Edited)
From my understanding this is probably true. I see most breeders using blacks, I also see white to silver breedings also.

If you breed a white to a brown = non black points ( I am not even sure if any pups will come out white)

If you breed a white to cream= cream pups or in between colors maybe whites but no sure if possible you also risk non black points depending one the dam and sire color points are

If you breed white to red = apricot pups and creams same as above when it goes to non black points depends of red dogs background

If you breed white to apricot = creams and apricots depends on DD gene to produce apricots

out of all the examples I do not know where silver beige falls in it could be a brown to silver breeding but I have not looked into this color much.

The reason being is the gene for red, apricot, cream, and white is the same

If you breed whites to WHITE, SILVER, BLUE and BLACK then you are ok. these dogs will have black points except the blue which has a dark blue but does not have no effect on the white dogs color points

#5 ·
Roxy, you seem to be very much into the color genetics! Where do you find all your resources... books? Please do share...
I've always been interested in biology and genetics... and have recently been bitten by the k-9 genetic bug! :rofl:
I've done a lot of searching on the internet concerning coat color genetics in dogs, and I've found some great info... but not a whole lot on poodles.

#8 ·
interesting Roxy, I had never heard of Silver labs until last friday. A customer came in and was talking about them. I thought he was a little crazy (which he is) he always has some wild opinion or fact that may or may not be true. Maybe this was one of the few times he was correct on someting ROFL. He also said AKC had been registering doodles for well over 3 years as of last friday... I try and just ignore whatever comes out of his mouth in most cases.

#10 ·
LMAO !!!!!

yeah there are a bunch of colors within each breed that people do not know about.

Brittany spaniels come in black and white, and even tri color but you wont see this stuff in the USA

a breeder who I bought some cats from swore up and down that two brown/black tabby cats can not have lynx point kittens .... I just let her believe that since she has been breeding for 12 years. well sorry to burst her bubble we had a lynx point kitten born out of two brown/black tabby cats lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.