Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang!

Phoenix is now 6 months, and he is supposed to be a black mini but his black coat always had a brown/reddish hint to it and at times it comes out really strong, like today in the morning light. I'll send a pic (sorry he kind of looks dirty there, we had lots of rain and I haven't brushed him, but you can see the tint). He is still black at the root, with a bluish skin. His mom was black and his dad was considered blue I think. What does this mean for his adult color?

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
From what I understand/am reading, will he most likely be a blue or a "bad black"? (I'm covering his ears so he doesn't hear that 馃ぃ). He's still the cutest to me 馃槚.

Premium Member
Hello gang!

Phoenix is now 6 months, and he is supposed to be a black mini but his black coat always had a brown/reddish hint to it and at times it comes out really strong, like today in the morning light. I'll send a pic (sorry he kind of looks dirty there, we had lots of rain and I haven't brushed him, but you can see the tint). He is still black at the root, with a bluish skin. His mom was black and his dad was considered blue I think. What does this mean for his adult color?
I can鈥檛 really tell from the picture, but there鈥檚 a good chance he鈥檚 blue. It鈥檚 a beautiful color, and I imagine would be cool to claim.

Registered
Transforming to blue may take 2-3 years, if not more. On the last picture he looks black, on the two before he looks like he will be blue. Does he have white hair in-between his feet ? Or patches where he seems almost grey ?

Super Moderator
What's striking about his color transition (if that's what it is), is his color is uniform. In other words, I can't see a more classic salt and pepper kind of sprinkling of black, brown, gray, and white. He looks to be one color, which is a very dark brown with reddish highlights. Depending on the lighting, he could look black. I wondered if he's cafe au lait and reviewed this article but his color points (nose and eyes) appear to be black. Whatever his true color is, he's very pretty and has a nice body and head.

A Full Color Panel DNA test would be interesting and tell you if he's black or brown; this costs $168 and is useful if you ever plan to breed him, i.e., does he carry brown genes?

These sites are excellent for information:

Genetics of Coat Color and Type in Dogs by Dr. Sheila Schmultz
Dog Coat Colour Genetics by Jess Chappell

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
What's striking about his color transition (if that's what it is), is his color is uniform. In other words, I can't see a more classic salt and pepper kind of sprinkling of black, brown, gray, and white. He looks to be one color, which is a very dark brown with reddish highlights. Depending on the lighting, he could look black. I wondered if he's cafe au lait and reviewed this article but his color points (nose and eyes) appear to be black. Whatever his true color is, he's very pretty and has a nice body and head.

A Full Color Panel DNA test would be interesting and tell you if he's black or brown; this costs $168 and is useful if you ever plan to breed him, i.e., does he carry brown genes?

These sites are excellent for information:

Genetics of Coat Color and Type in Dogs by Dr. Sheila Schmultz
Dog Coat Colour Genetics by Jess Chappell
Super interesting. I might do that color panel for curiosity. And yes right now he is one color, which is black-ish with a brown/red tone to all the hair. I did look carefully inside the paws pads and I see some -very few- white hair in there. He has a couple of white hair inside the upper leg, and maybe 3-4 between the brows. He's still very young, but I suspect he won't truly be black then.
I don't plan to breed him, but I could. He is really beautiful and has lots of grace in his gait and all (although I really know nothing about conformation etc..).

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Transforming to blue may take 2-3 years, if not more. On the last picture he looks black, on the two before he looks like he will be blue. Does he have white hair in-between his feet ? Or patches where he seems almost grey ?
So yes, but not really in all the paws, I did find some white hair but I had to LOOK for it. Not yet obvious. He is not grey anywhere for now. He has a couple of white hair on the groin. So I guess he will turn. True blacks don't look brown, do they?

Registered
So yes, but not really in all the paws, I did find some white hair but I had to LOOK for it. Not yet obvious. He is not grey anywhere for now. He has a couple of white hair on the groin. So I guess he will turn. True blacks don't look brown, do they?
My mini is for sure a true black, but he still gets sun bleaching that makes him look like he has brownish or reddish tints. And I keep him much shorter than yours! So I imagine with the very long fur you could have quite a bit of sun bleaching going on, and that makes it difficult to tell.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
My mini is for sure a true black, but he still gets sun bleaching that makes him look like he has brownish or reddish tints. And I keep him much shorter than yours! So I imagine with the very long fur you could have quite a bit of sun bleaching going on, and that makes it difficult to tell.
You are right. I guess only time will tell. I've had him since end of August and he hasn't had a true haircut other than the nose (which is still black) and sanitary area. The hair could have faded at the end over the last 3 months. Although it's not been extra sunny by any means! I read somewhere that blue bred with black will dilute the black and be blue. Wondering. My previous mini was a true black and I don't recall any of this coloring.

Registered
True blacks are often "sunburned" - the ends of the hairs are brown but the roots are black. Your pup looks black to me (and I have had many, many poodles over the past 50 years - used to breed them for show).

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
True blacks are often "sunburned" - the ends of the hairs are brown but the roots are black. Your pup looks black to me (and I have had many, many poodles over the past 50 years - used to breed them for show).
That would be nice. His roots are still black for now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts