Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't been on Poodle Forum for years. This is a new issue and I couldn't really find anything about it by "googling" it or by searching on the Forum. My 7 year old white Standard Poodle, Mitch, has started getting more and more dark brown, almost black spots on his skin. I don't think he had any when he was younger, but started getting them within the last year or so. The largest is about 1/2 inch in diameter. The spots all seem to be on the back half of his body. The big one is on his tail, and there are a lot around his anus. There are a few more small ones on his back and on his belly and I think I saw one on a hind leg when I washed him today. Some of them are a lighter brown but the ones on his tail and around his anus are very dark. I live in the same town as a veterinary teaching hospital, so one time when I had him there for something else, they had the oncologist look at it and she apparently wasn't overly concerned, just said to keep an eye on it. I measure the big one every few months and it stays about the same. They seem to be flat, not bumps or anything. His father was white, his mother black. It's been a while since he had any blood work but it's always been normal. His only medical condition is an anxiety disorder and what I think is probably irritable bowel, because he gets off his food and grumbly gut and pain, after something stressful has happened. Otherwise he is healthy. His skin is mostly pinkish except for the dark spots. He does have a lot of black in his mouth. His nails are all light colored; his muzzle is partly pink and partly dark brown. His nose, around his eyes, and his lips are black but sometimes his nose washes out to a dark brown.

I was just wondering if this is a common thing in white Standard Poodles and whether it might be because his mother is black. If it is, I won't worry about it so much. I would like to ask a vet about it again, since it seems like he is getting more of them, but they are only seeing urgent matters now because of the pandemic.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with this, but I did find some possibly related discussion on the forum:

And this thread, which was recently resurrected:

I wonder if it's like human age spots or sun spots? Hoping others weigh in.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used to date a vet and if it’s what I’m thinking it just aging, kind of how older people can develop liver spots. Where they aren’t raised patches just darker in color. I’d watch them just to make sure it’s not a skin issue, the patches will grow in size if that's the case. There are a very few skin conditions that develop this way but we never saw those in poodles, usually Pomeranians or long hair chihuahuas. we had a pom that would come in and he developed it and the patches were very large and itchy. like big blotches. he had meds for the itching but otherwise it wasn't a big deal but it can caused hair loss from him itching and pulling out fur. he was almost bald but still had all his head fluff and his tail tip. he looked like a little tan lion. it was so darn cute. he lived for many more years to his late teens but i'll never forget that little lion. he was may favorite! Again though, when I helped him we never saw that in poodles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just watch for itching or rapid growth of the spots, just to be extra safe. they may get more spots but as long as they aren't growing in diameter.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i'll also say that lighter color dogs are more prone to the aging spots for some weird reason. Maybe just their pigmentation genes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts