Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bathed Molly yesterday and when drying her noted a flat black spot just above the ankle on one of her back legs. Its quite large, maybe 1/2". It doesn't look like the little black moles Callie gets (Callie is almost 9) Molly is only approaching 5 years.

The spot is flat, doesn't look like any kind of growth I've seen, no bumps in it but no hair is growing out of it. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. I bathe both of them regularly (around every two weeks) and it was not present at her last bath or I would have noticed it when drying her.

I don't know whether to be scared or not. She had something kind of similar on her front ankle a month ago (which is gone now) The vet said it was a callous from her licking it, that she might have had a bite of some kind which she licked a lot.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Have you had any luck finding out what it is? Does your vet have any ideas? I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to offer, but am hoping Molly gets a clean bill of health from your vet.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I’m not sure if my experience is what you are describing. My silver minipoo had a bee sting on her paw last summer and had a dose of allergy medication and I limited her ability to lick her foot for a few days.

I noticed the next time I groomed her where the bee sting occurred she had a black spot. When I looked closely I realized she had alopecia - no hair was growing, the black was her skin. I groom her feet every 2-4 weeks so I don’t remember the details, but the next time I groomed her feet I discovered inky black fur was growing. For several grooming sessions she had black fur growing normally next to her normal light silver. Eventually over time the black faded to her regular light silver. This summer she got poked by s sharp thorn on her back and it’s growing back black and will eventually fade to normal silver. Once the hair fades it will be indistinguishable from the rest of her hair.

If you search bee sting, I posted about it with photos and updates.

Reactions: SusanG

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking very closely, I can see it is not her skin, but very fine black hairs. She must have had an injury and licked it. I'm watching it every day for changes and there are none. I haven't taken her to the vet since it doesn't appear to be skin disease at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts