Poodle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, I agree --- blue.

My little Lucy at 9 weeks looked brown in the sun. Now at 14 weeks she is noticeably a lighter grayish in the tail and muzzle. Her breeder thought she would be blue, and I concur.

FYI, her sire is silver and her dam is light apricot.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
It can be hard to predict if a pup will stay black, will be a 'bad' black (I like to say a 'fading' black) or a blue. It's not always possible to know at 8 weeks when puppies go to their new homes. Sometimes a puppy that will be blue will have a dusty look to their muzzles when they are freshly shaved. This dusty look can appears by 6, 7 or 8 weeks but not always. Some blues take a long time to come to their try blue colour. Silvers can also take awhile to 'clear' . With that much silver in your pups coat already (on the tail), she might actually be a silver. Or she could be a blue that is changing very quickly. A fading black usually stays black for the first year or two and then you gradually see that colour fade until they can take on a silver/grey appearance. You don't usually see the fading at this young age.

The brown in her coat could also be due to sun bleaching. I have had many black Standard puppies who's coats will take on a redish/brown cast when they spend a lot of time in the sun. Puppy coats tend to be much more fragile and more easily burned by the sun in this way. So you may find that once that brownish/red colour is cut off, she will be black again underneath.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks guys. She's getting a LOT of white/silver hairs all through her - even on her face. Will post pics of her after the grooming (which was a couple days ago), and see if I can get a close up of her face, too. The tail, as you can see in the previous pictures, has a big area of absolute light gray. She's getting more and more of those areas.

TangoPoodles, it's definitely not sun damage. First, she didn't spend a lot of time in the sun at all, but more importantly, she did exactly opposite what sun damage would do. Sun damage, as you say, would be brown on the OUTside edges of the fur and black closest to the body. She was black on the outside edges, as as the new fur came in, it came in reddish brown, so the bits closest to her body were brown and when the groomer cut off the outside black bits, she *looked* like a brown dog - no black left.

Pics to come! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can hardly wait for pics

You guys are so smart. I am having such a great time looking at pics and reading all the great info/opinions here. Thanks to all.

My Lucy will be 16 weeks on Sunday, so she and Molly are not far apart in age.

It is fun to compare little Lucy's color changes with Molly's. Are you getting any lighter hair on her feet? Lucy's feet seem to be lightening up some, and her face has definitely grayed up. (I am tempted to get the clippers out.)

I am looking forward to your new pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread, I just wanted to say, that is the most beautiful color coat I've ever seen! I have a dark brown standard puppy coming in one month. I'd be thrilled if he turned out like this!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Since acquiring Rio, I have done a lot of reading about "blues" - they are born black but have the "fading gene".

As any hairdresser will tell you your hair goes through a lot of stages as the bleach lifts the color to the degree they want before adding the toner. From what I have read, I equate it to that.

And it seems it takes many months for the coats of grays, silvers, and blues to "clear"...maybe longest for the blues, perhaps 3 years.

Here is an article by someone who seems very knowledgeable - maybe she is even a member of this forum:

POODLE COAT COLORS: BLUE & BLACK

BTW, Molly is darling.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
She is going to be a lovely blue. As mentioned it can be hard to tell the difference between blue and black puppies sometimes. My boy Cole was registered as a blue but he looks black to most folks but beside his true black housemate he is off black.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts