Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm taking a look at poodle puppies to buy. I found this one. 12 weeks black with red highlights. I like the way he looks right now. But I hardly imagine when he is fully grown what color.it will be. Are these red highlights due to oxidation? Out of 9 puppies only he has red highlights. Sire is black Dam is dark red. Any thoughts?
64i8iom3pri.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Welcome! What an exciting time for you! Ahhhh! Gives me puppy fever. :love:

By 12 weeks, the breeder should have gotten your potential new puppy used to having his face shaved clean, with ideally at least a couple of groomings by now. It looks like this hasn't been done, which makes me wonder about whether or not they've done any health testing or socializing. That would be my first concern.

But as for colour, he might be a blue puppy. What does the breeder say when you ask? Blue can sometimes be identifiable at a young age by a slight difference between the face colour and the rest of the puppy's hair. A clean shaven face will help to show this contrast.

Here is a description of blue poodles:

"Blue is a dilute of black. It carries the fading gene. Blue poodle puppies are born black and turn blue by two years of age. This poodle color takes the longest time to clear. Puppies at a young age will have brown highlights showing they are a blue not black puppy. By 2 years of age the dog will turn a dark color metal gray. There are varying shades of blue as in any color. Blue poodles should have black points and dark brown eyes."

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I agree with Peggy, the fact this puppy has had no grooming is an indicator. I suspect there has been no health test of the parents to assure they won’t pass on inheritable diseases. The breeder probably hasn’t put careful thought into a choice of the dam and sire making certain they aren’t closely related. Nor consideration into what choosing a mate that will produce a dog with good conformation and temperament. pronab the breeding pair do not participate in any dog sports, either conformation or other such as agility or obedience.

here is a link that can help you before you purchase a puppy.

edited to add by 12 weeks old this puppy should have had it’s face, feet and sanitary areas clipped to get it used to grooming. This puppy’s face and feet is so furry, it looks like it has never been clipped. For people who like a furry face on their dog, the recommendation is to continue to shave it throughout puppyhood. Once the dog is used to routine grooming, then you can the hair grow and shape it how you prefer.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
The lack of grooming is a big red flag to me. It would make me think this puppy hasn't had the best husbandry and that the red coloration is oxidation.

Please read the thread Skylar linked to!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

The genetics behind poodle colors are really interesting. Without more info, it's really hard to give even a guess, but blue is a reasonable guess.

This link has some general info about breeding results with different colors
COLOR BREEDING IN POODLES

If you would like to let us know what size poodle and approximately where you are or how far you'd travel for a pup, we can usually suggest some breeders for you to contact.

It never hurts to make connections in a search for a poodle :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts