Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I did not want to choose a black poodle because of how hard it is to photograph them. For each photo that turns out well, you get many duds. It can be a challenge, but I guess it makes the good photos that much more precious.

Before you call me anti-black, I will say that my wife and I lovingly care for our black cat Leroy.

·
Super Moderator
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not going to lie, I did not want to choose a black poodle because of how hard it is to photograph them. For each photo that turns out well, you get many duds. It can be a challenge, but I guess it makes the good photos that much more precious.

Before you call me anti-black, I will say that my wife and I lovingly care for our black cat Leroy.
The struggle is REAL. We'd actually travelled to the breeder to pick up Peggy's sister Agnes, an apricot parti. Well Agnes wanted nothing to do with us while Peggy smothered us in kisses and trotted at my heels.

I asked the breeder if people found black partis hard to photograph, and she said many people won't take them for that reason. My heart broke and our decision was made. We just had to take her.

I'll admit, my photos were awful the first couple of months, but I think I'm getting a bit better. Natural light is key, and a shaved face definitely helps. Peggy's face also seems to be greying, maybe? And she's got white hairs forming rings around her eyes. Not really sure what she'll look like in a few years!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Some white around the eyes makes them easier to photograph. Here's our beautiful Rue. She was solid black when my sister adopted her, and she started greying very young. The early picks of her look like a black streak--can't see her eyes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor Peggy! They need a better camera. Black pets are so hard to photograph, but they are so beautiful.
I saw a photo of her on the breeder's website, when we were still planning to get her apricot sister, and I laughed so hard! Just these little glinting eyes peering out from flat blackness. I actually showed my husband and said "THIS is why we can't get a black poodle." I am an avid photo taker and loved photographing my dappled girl.

Now I just consider Peggy a fun challenge to my skills lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thank you ? I think it might be time to upgrade to a new iPhone, though. I'm currently using a 7, and the newest ones are a huge leap forward.

I’m still using a 7 as well.

I really like the Photoshop Express app for boosting the shadows and scaling back the highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The struggle is REAL. We'd actually travelled to the breeder to pick up Peggy's sister Agnes, an apricot parti. Well Agnes wanted nothing to do with us while Peggy smothered us in kisses and trotted at my heels.

I asked the breeder if people found black partis hard to photograph, and she said many people won't take them for that reason. My heart broke and our decision was made. We just had to take her.
What a sweet story! :)

My dear Matilda (poodle/cocker spaniel mix) was almost all black (she had a white belly), and now that she is gone, I really hate that most of my photos of her did not turn out all that great. Peggy is just a doll, though, and you have uploaded many great photos here!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The iPhone 11 is a game changer for good photos of black poodles. This photo of Violet is taken in portrait mode.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Wow the iPhone 11 took a really good photo. I'm still using a 5s.lol but I really need a new one. I recently changed my ATT plan as mine was grandfathered and the new plans actually give you more than I had so of course the rep talked me into switching in internet/phone/tv service. I liked the faster internet so I went with it. And the promises, I was promised a $300. credit for a upgrade whenever I decided I wanted to upgrade my phone. Plus some $300 credit toward a new phone has disappeared and I am now told I'm not entitled to it. That you have to get a new line. Technically I did get a new line (land) but they say no but yet the rep said yes. Now I have to hunt her down..and I will. So meantime I'm hanging on to my old phone because if they don't work this out I'm going back to my old provider and now they offer mobile too so.. Ok well sorry I went off topic on my raNt. LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
The iPhone 11 camera is good. Just got one. The problem is my puppy doesn’t stay still for long, but I got a good shot and you can actually see him. IMG_4569.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
When I went to look at Raffi's litter, I had my eye on a black and white tuxedo sibling- and maybe that was partly because it was not just a black furry blob! (I was set on a dark color though, since we are on a farm and I want to hide the dirt lol.)
It seems like the only time he is still is when he is curled up, so in most pictures of him I'm lucky to be able to pick out his muzzle and that's about it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The iPhone 11 camera is good. Just got one. The problem is my puppy doesn’t stay still for long, but I got a good shot and you can actually see him. View attachment 453599

Haha! Yes! This is a very real problem, too. Peggy will be having the sweetest, stillest, most adorable moment, but the second I pull my phone out, she's back to her usual antics.

I try to tell myself there's a lesson in there about being present.

·
Super Moderator
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I went to look at Raffi's litter, I had my eye on a black and white tuxedo sibling- and maybe that was partly because it was not just a black furry blob! (I was set on a dark color though, since we are on a farm and I want to hide the dirt lol.)
It seems like the only time he is still is when he is curled up, so in most pictures of him I'm lucky to be able to pick out his muzzle and that's about it.
I see those sweet soulful eyes!

I remember the first day after bringing Peggy home, watching her leap joyfully into the garden soil. Whyyyyyyy did I choose a poodle with white feet?? But her black ticking is getting more and more pronounced, so it hides some of the dirt.

Another blessing - the gleaming white fur around her bum is now coming in black! Hooray! She often carries her tail high and all I could see for a while was that dang butt hole!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts