Poodle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I Have a black mini, she is my first black dog. They are harder to photograph. I am going to start a thread about photographing black dogs, as I could use some pointers.

Other than that, black poodles are awesome! Gracie’s coat is like black velvet, thick, shiny, and soft. Blacks are known for having the nicest coats. And they do have such a classic silhouette. Gracie also has not met a mud puddle she doesn’t like, so I appreciate that the dirt doesn’t show.
But temperament above all else, which my girl has too. Go with the right breeder, and that won’t be a problem. My breeder has whites and blacks, and I originally thought I wanted a white. Quite glad I went over to the dark side!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
My Renn is white, he has nice fur very thick but he does have eye stain. His nails are also all black so no advantage for nail clipping , lol. If I get a 2nd I'd like a black. I think but I'll hopefully let is choose me . (that is if I ever get a 2nd).

·
Registered
204 Posts
One thing that should be said also. With better coat quality, comes more work brushing, detangling and grooming. It can make a big difference In the total hour of work needed to maintain the coat and prevent matting.
Can you explain this to me? I thought the poorer, cottony coats were more prone to matting. Or do you mean that, given equally matt-free coats, it would just take longer to groom through a thick coat?

I vote for black, btw! Tear stains drive me nuts, and if my spoo was light I'm sure his feet would be stained as well from dirt etc.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Can you explain this to me? I thought the poorer, cottony coats were more prone to matting. Or do you mean that, given equally matt-free coats, it would just take longer to groom through a thick coat?
Yes to what you said, but what I meant was a black dog’s coat is more likely to be very dense, with a tight curl. If you don’t brush this type of coat every day, it will matt faster than a finer coat. For example, if I don’t brush my apricot for 5 days, he won’t have any matts (unless his coat is very long). If I don’t brush my black dog for 5 days, unless her coat is very short, she will be matted on the ears, armpits, tail, legs also probably.

Your second affirmation is true also, blacks will take longer to brush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My vote is for cream! Black is hard to photograph
My brother has a white puppy and noticed that the tear stains started going away once they took him off kibbles and started on raw food.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I love silvers. Every time I got my brain set on my next dog being a silver my heart went it's own way ignoring my eyes. I have a brown for whom poodle sites have argued is either cafe au lait or silver beige. She was dark dark brown when I got her as a pup. I have a boy who is registered as cream but is now pure white. And my last boy is a parti that some people say is white/apricot or white/red. His apricot is darkening and he is one and a half.

Moral of the story: Think and dream about the color you will get, but don't count on going home with that color in the end. The spoo I had that passed away from bloat at a young age was not the one I picked out from the pictures I saw online. I picked out a black and white parti. When I went to pick him up, a white and apricot grabbed my lap and my heart. When I went to get Sherlock, I had put a deposit down on a dog but the breeder was the one that matched dog to owner. I thought I wanted a black but the breeder had a cream/white boy picked out for me based on my lifestyle and what I had said I was looking for. Best thing ever! I can't imagine my life without Sherlock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I love silvers. Every time I got my brain set on my next dog being a silver my heart went it's own way ignoring my eyes. I have a brown for whom poodle sites have argued is either cafe au lait or silver beige. She was dark dark brown when I got her as a pup. I have a boy who is registered as cream but is now pure white. And my last boy is a parti that some people say is white/apricot or white/red. His apricot is darkening and he is one and a half.

Moral of the story: Think and dream about the color you will get, but don't count on going home with that color in the end. The spoo I had that passed away from bloat at a young age was not the one I picked out from the pictures I saw online. I picked out a black and white parti. When I went to pick him up, a white and apricot grabbed my lap and my heart. When I went to get Sherlock, I had put a deposit down on a dog but the breeder was the one that matched dog to owner. I thought I wanted a black but the breeder had a cream/white boy picked out for me based on my lifestyle and what I had said I was looking for. Best thing ever! I can't imagine my life without Sherlock.
I am excited. I have a red boy and on a list for cream or blue. We shall see what happens :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am excited. I have a red boy and on a list for cream or blue. We shall see what happens :)
Life is like a box of chocolates when it come to poodles and colors. But in the case of poodles: all the chocolate is soooo good, it doesn't matter which flavor you get ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts