Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a second standard poodle at the end of 2020! I have a red boy now. I’m trying to decide between getting black or cream/white. Any thoughts.....

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Black dogs are harder to photograph. They don’t show eye stains as much. They tend to have better hair that is fuller and with a better texture than lighter colors. You don’t see the quick of their nails. More hair to pluck in their ears.

Lighter dogs have eyes stains that show. They are easy to take good pictures of. Their hair might be of a lesser overall quality. You can see the quick of their nails, so easier to clip without making them bleed. Maybe less hair to pluck in their ears.

My black dog tolerates heat and cold better than my apricot dog.

This is what comes to me. :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
What a hard (but fun!) choice.

I'll admit I didn't want a black poodle because I love photographing my dogs so much. We'd initially set out to get Peggy's sister, an apricot parti, but.....Peggy chose us!

It's definitely tricky, but so rewarding when you're able to capture that noble face and those liquid brown eyes in the right light. Black poodles are truly striking. I also love that I don't have to mess with tear stains.

That said.....I've been researching cream poodles a lot lately. I'd really like one, too! There's a Poodle Forum dog that's come up in some of my image searches. I believe his name is Sailor? User name: Charmed. Just stunning. He reminds me of a noble horse. I love how the black skin shows through on his clean face. Really highlights the beautiful poodle bone structure.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm biased because I have a black and love blacks! No tear stains to worry about, better hair quality, and I haven't had any difficulty photographing mine at all. Also the nose won't turn pale over time. They're also magic because you can't tell when they're dirty!

But really, temperament is the most important. You might talk to the breeder about the parent dogs or even stop by to meet them. That way you can see if you feel a connection with one of the parents. Or even discover a negative quality in a parent that you want to avoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! I’ve met the father and he’s an amazing service dog for the breeders son!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I prefer blacks and blues...as has been noted, usually harsher and thicker coat than some of the lighter colors, doesn't show tear stains, doesn't show dirt as much, etc. Health and temperament is always the first consideration of course, but you can always find a responsible breeder that breeds the color you want. And photographing black/blues is not an issue with a good camera and photo editing LOL.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I prefer blacks and blues...as has been noted, usually harsher and thicker coat than some of the lighter colors, doesn't show tear stains, doesn't show dirt as much, etc. Health and temperament is always the first consideration of course, but you can always find a responsible breeder that breeds the color you want. And photographing black/blues is not an issue with a good camera and photo editing LOL.....
Those photos (and poodles) are GORGEOUS. I really must stop depending on my old iPhone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Health and temperament before all.

Black was not my preferred choice due to photography challenges and my concerns regarding ticks (I like to hike and camp). However, the puppy that came my way was “everything right except black”. So, I have a black puppy AND a better camera ?. Violet is on an oral flea and tick preventative ?.

Black is a very elegant color and adds a certain mystery (is she clean or dirty,is she looking at me or the treat I’m holding? Haha). Really, though, there is something about the expression of a black poodle that holds a mysterious quality in my opinion.

Other thoughts: male white/cream poodles can show pees stains on the back of their front legs. This does not happen with every dog, but it’s a thing- google pee pants.

Also, poodles as a breed have a public relations problem. A number of people don’t like them based on their perceived image. Black poodles come across as less frou-frou than whites- IMO. I would never let this stop me, though. I think white and cream poodles are beautiful, and the more pom poms and ribbons the better. Who cares what the non-poodle-informed public thinks?

So I’ll say it again: health and temperament before all. I feel very lucky because I fell in love with Violet’s dam, and it is ideal to receive a puppy from a healthy breeding from a dog you love.

Other good news: I’m not dead yet. I hope someday to have a light-colored poodle. I would enjoy that very much, but not any more than I’m enjoying Violet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would go for white mainly because I hardly see any white poodles. When looking for my poodle I never saw a white puppy and I looked for years! As long as the parents don't have a major tear stain issue I would definitely go for white ?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Agree with all of the black poodle positives, especially coat quality. To me, they’re such an established silhouette of the breed. I had my heart set on a black Spoo, my breeder is known for her blacks, so no conundrum. Had I had a choice, it would be temperament over color. Lucky you. to be getting a new puppy whatever color! Exciting:)

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
One thing that should be said also. With better coat quality, comes more work brushing, detangling and grooming. It can make a big difference In the total hour of work needed to maintain the coat and prevent matting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts