• Black

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our gorgeous standard poodle girl will be three years old next week. Her breeder (who is extremely knowledgeable) said when we got her that she thought she'd be blue. For years, though, she has been inky black. Her face sometimes looked brownish, and she has an increasing number of white hairs on her back and body. I'm wondering if she is actually clearing to blue now, and if that can even happen at three years old. I can see her face in pictures now, when we couldn't for the longest time - I love it! It doesn't matter to me either way, but I'm curious. What do you think?

·
Registered
537 Posts
She looks like a beautiful blue to me. I hear they can take a very long time to clear from black to blue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel like a little kid at Christmas. We were hoping for a blue because her dad was a beautiful blue, but she came from a litter of 10 black pups, and it seemed like there was really no way to tell. We picked gender and then our breeder had our family meet and play with the entire litter and she matched us. Color wasn't as important as some other factors to her, so we took home a black pup and love her so much. But she's been black for nearly three years, this is wild. She is pretty clearly changing colors now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your dog looks like a blue. Blues can take up to 5 years to fully clear and come in a variety of shades. Some dogs are clearly blue from birth, while others clear later. Many people will think a dark blue is black, but when seen next to a true black the difference is obvious. Both of mine are dark blues, picture is of the younger one.....

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feel like a little kid at Christmas. We were hoping for a blue because her dad was a beautiful blue, but she came from a litter of 10 black pups, and it seemed like there was really no way to tell. We picked gender and then our breeder had our family meet and play with the entire litter and she matched us. Color wasn't as important as some other factors to her, so we took home a black pup and love her so much. But she's been black for nearly three years, this is wild. She is pretty clearly changing colors now.
I wonder if these so called Poodles registered "BLUE" turn out to be what is called dirty blacks ? Not criticizing cause I have 2 of them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What is the difference between a good blue and a dirty black? What comes to mind is a slightly faded black with an almost brownish tinge- like a black shirt that has gone through the laundry too many times. Is that correct? And then a blue is more steely?

·
Registered
17 Posts
M
What is the difference between a good blue and a dirty black? What comes to mind is a slightly faded black with an almost brownish tinge- like a black shirt that has gone through the laundry too many times. Is that correct? And then a blue is more steely?
My 2nd SP was to have been a blue ! But IMHO she wasn't & color was as you discribed. Even with her dirty black color Ivy was a wonderful girl.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts