Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm not proud....:eek:hwell: our light apricot girl (22 months) has a really black nose in the summer. In the winter it lightens up considerably. I thought probably they all did - "tanning" during the summer. But our puppy (10 months, dark apricot) has a black nose, too, and his hasn't lightened up this winter at all. Do the lighter colored dogs' points tend to lighten up in the winter?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, noses often get paler in winter, and darker in summer, and generally on a fading dog (ie many of them!) it'll not get *quite* as dark as it was last summer, and then in winter it might get lighter, and again not get quite as dark again the following summer, etc etc etc. Essentially they often get slowly paler noses in general, as well as the usual change with the seasons. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is so strange... I would have guessed the opposite! I'll be paying attention to my dogs nose more now! :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
My darker Red poodles do not do this, But our cream girl does.
But my Setters got winter nose ...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
That is how I corrected it in the Irish Setters....The winter nose is not a good thing on a show dog :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I noticed it last winter, with L.E. Belle, but thought it was just a "winter" thing. Since Murphy's nose stayed a lot darker (maybe not the "coal black" it was) this winter, I thought maybe it was just tanning. I appreciate the information!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Ok... I just saw the post on kelp... you feed it to them? Capsules? Sprinkle on food?
They make a lot of different versions. I use a powdered one that gets sprinkled on food. My latest version has been the sea meal from solid gold, just stopped feeding it two months ago. I stopped adding anything to their food while I was looking for a new food and see how they would do on it alone before I added anything to it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I've always liked how striking her black nose is against her light apricot coloring... I may have to get some kelp for her:)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oh I wouldn't go as far as to give a seal meal.. I've groomed dogs that get that type of food due to allergies and they smell like fish ALL the time.. it like leaks through their pores!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Flip has a de-pigmenting nose (it was black when we got him at 5months), but it's turning liver...however since we switched to a raw diet, it seems to be darkening up again, at least on the edges.

I don't know if this is dudley or snow nose, I guess we'll find out in summer?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I edited my previous post after googling "dudley nose" - I'm not sure which Ted has. He looks okay with a liver nose, so I'm okay with it if it stays that way. I wonder if it's an indication of snow nose if his lips and eye rims are still black while his nose is lighter. I saw pictures of liver pigmented dogs and they also had liver lips (try saying that three times real fast).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is exactly what L.E.Belle's nose looks like - it is "pinker" on the top and darker on the bottom, and on the rims. I'm thinking they will blacken back up. It's odd that my darker apricot's nose hasn't faded at all.

Your little guy is just plain adorable...there's just no such thing as a bad picture of him, is there!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts