Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do black and blue poodles often develop brown muzzles. I once read this relates to their saliva. Any other insights?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
The saliva stains on blue, I can relate to though it was because Flower's sister Cappi groomed her constantly hence Flower had reddish/brown stains on one side on her body.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Why do black and blue poodles often develop brown muzzles. I once read this relates to their saliva. Any other insights?
No, saliva staining isn't why blue (and bad blacks) have brown muzzles prior to fading/clearing. I know that because it's a characteristic seen in places where no saliva would have affected their coat. It probably just has something to do with the strength of the color of the coat and how it visually appears. Not quite black, but hasn't faded out yet. It's why blues and some poor blacks have a brown hue to their entire coat prior to fading.

Saliva staining will turn coat brown/orange, but it's different from an entirely brown muzzle that you'll see on a blue puppy or on blacks who will fade out to be poor in color. It would only occur where saliva or other bodily fluids have stained the coat.

·
Premium Member
22,753 Posts
Actually I think you may be seeing oxidation of the true color of the dog from having water on their muzzles and being in daylight with UV radiation discoloring the coat. For Javelin particularly when his muzzle needs a clip he looks a little reddish brown around the end of his entire snoot near his nose. Once clipped down he is all black again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 3 month old black has a brown muzzle. Even when I shave it, it’s still dark brown. I’m hoping the rest of her stays black!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts