Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annie Iikes skunks...Likes likes likes them. They are, in her opinion, friends, and she has been nose to nose with more than half a dozen of them without incident.

We see them almost every night , sobmetimes multiple, because we live in an area with people who don't pick up their garbage and have a neighbour who feeds animals. I bought skunk remover months ago, and finally got to use it tonight .

Anyways -any suggestions to teach my dog skunks aren't friends? She will leave it on command, it it doesn't stop her from approaching. We were turned away and already leaving when it sprayed, so she just looked bemused and didn't seem to connect the two. Or tips to keep them from spraying?

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
All I can say, is I’m glad your sweet Annie, hasn’t been considered a threat. We deal with opossums, armadillos and so far no raccoons, but that’s only a matter of time. No advice on skunks, just hopes that her luck holds and the “leave it” command is solid. Don’t you have to bathe them in tomato juice or something to get rid of the stench? What a hassle!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmfst... For some reason 'Leave it! " Is one of our most practiced commands.

Washing with tomato juice is not recommended, as doesn't really remove the smell. My parents have a funny story about their coral,usually white, tomato juice-treated dog that smelled when it got wet long after the colour faded. There's a peroxide baking soda recipe that apparently works but I don't keep peroxide on hand so I just bought commercial skunk remover ahead of time expecting this to eventually happen.

Also, Annie would like everyone to know it was my fault. I YELLED at her(as she was trying to sniff the butt), then dragged her away and scared it. In her opinion, if we had just BEEN FRIENDS and CALM like usual the skunk would have been fine.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Maybe try a vibrating collar ? They don’t hurt and it would do the job. I’ve had dogs who had encounters with skunks and the smell can last weeks and weeks... Not something I would want on my dog...

After one or two warnings, she would get it and you wouldn’t even have to use it.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Also, Annie would like everyone to know it was my fault. I YELLED at her(as she was trying to sniff the butt), then dragged her away and scared it. In her opinion, if we had just BEEN FRIENDS and CALM like usual the skunk would have been fine.
This made me laugh ?

We have a large leather footstool in the shape of a hippopotamus, and tiny Peggy, when we first brought her home from the breeder, ran straight to it and sniffed the "butt."

I imagined her saying, "Mom? Is that you??? You'll never believe what just happened to me!!"

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Unfortunately, her first skunk experience was as a 5 or 6 month old with a baby and she had a good 5 min nose to nose sniff with it (off leash while I frantically tried to call her back). I think she thinks skunks are like cats, but more friendly.

Dechi - that might be a good idea, I'll think about it. I may be the weak link , as I'd have to try and walk with the collar control in my hand so I can strike the instant we see a skunk. Past experiences with trying to walk with a clicker show I apparently suck at multitasking. (good dog! clicker falls and hits dog on head. Oops).

Peggie is too cute :) I have always wanted one of those animal ottomans.

For anyone who may stumble upon this with a skunk sprayed dog. I am VERY impressed with the commercial skunk product I bought (Envirofresh Odour Out Skunk Eliminator). It's a spray, no bath required, just need to soak the dog with it. I was skeptical, because I applied it and she stunk, but half an hour later, no more smell in the areas I treated even if I put my nose to her skin, but she reeked where I thought she hadn't been hit. After my third spot application, i think I've gotten it all (missed her back end, front of her ears, and belly when I originally applied it). My only issue with it is it is really hard to get a long poodle topknot and ears saturated with a spray! I used about 2/3 of a bottle between her and my face (rest of me was covered in clothes), so will go out and buy another bottle to have in the cupboard.

Edit: Oh goody! I can buy it by the gallon online for about the same as I paid for a litre in store...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts