Poodle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't know what to make of Winnie's pee habit. A while back she seemed to refuse to go pee in the garden on occassions and I couldn't work out why. It wasn't an all day thing, just a once in a while thing. She then went back to 'normal' and stopped doing that. Well now she daily refuses to do the late afternoon pee in the garden but is happy to do all other pees before and after. She routinely does a pee between 5pm and 6pm. Then she will have her final pee before going to bed about 9.30pm. The afternoon pee she just will not do in the garden and I know she wants to do it. When I finally give up and take her outside the house she will immediately pee on the grass verge. When it comes to the bed time pee, there she goes in the garden no problem. I cannot see any reason for her not to go at that time and is fine all other times. It's very bizarre. I want to nip this behaviour because its fine now the weather is warm and dry (mostly) but I don't want to have to keep going out to the street when winter is here. Any advice?

·
Administrator
14,206 Posts
Bees? Snakes? Our garden is absolutely buzzing in the afternoon. Lots of activity that could deter a pee.

Or maybe Winnie is sensitive to things like shadows? Is there a shadow back there around that time that worries her? Maybe one that moves?

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, my Babykins refuses to pee or poop in our yard. She is happy to go potty 2-3 houses away. She loves to pee mark and I believe she is looking for a spot where many dog's have peed. On those rare winter days when we do have snow, we clear a grassy knoll for her to potty. But we have to walk her on the street long enough for her to see that there is no grass with lovely smells.... then she will reluctantly go home to potty on the grassy knoll. You can see she is disappointed.

Has anything happened to cause any fear? Is she looking for some exercise in the form of a walk? Is she looking forward to a sniffy walk experience that she doesn't get in the garden?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably not what you want to hear, my Babykins refuses to pee or poop in our yard. She is happy to go potty 2-3 houses away. She loves to pee mark and I believe she is looking for a spot where many dog's have peed. On those rare winter days when we do have snow, we clear a grassy knoll for her to potty. But we have to walk her on the street long enough for her to see that there is no grass with lovely smells.... then she will reluctantly go home to potty on the grassy knoll. You can see she is disappointed.

Has anything happened to cause any fear? Is she looking for some exercise in the form of a walk? Is she looking forward to a sniffy walk experience that she doesn't get in the garden?
Nope, she will pee during the morning and daytime and at night. On the late afternoon one she will literally pee on the grass verge right outside the house and then come back in, no walking just a straight in and out.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Nope, she will pee during the morning and daytime and at night. On the late afternoon one she will literally pee on the grass verge right outside the house and then come back in, no walking just a straight in and out.
Did something scare her at that time in the garden? It might be a one time small occurence that you didn't witness. Did she come inside one day upset? As PtP stated above there could be a lot of natural activity in the yard that upsets her? Are you going outside with her and standing with her as she potties?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bees? Snakes? Our garden is absolutely buzzing in the afternoon. Lots of activity that could deter a pee.

Or maybe Winnie is sensitive to things like shadows? Is there a shadow back there around that time that worries her? Maybe one that moves?
Nothing that I can figure out. She does not react to shadows or noises, in fact at night the people next door used to be quite loud in the garden which when she was a puppy it put her off but now she will go at night no matter what noises they make. She is not looking at bees or flies etc, she literally just stands there looking at me with a 'I'm not going to pee' look on her face. As soon as she gets out of the house she pees and comes straight back in.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did something scare her at that time in the garden? It might be a one time small occurence that you didn't witness. Did she come inside one day upset? As PtP stated above there could be a lot of natural activity in the yard that upsets her? Are you going outside with her and standing with her as she potties?
I cannot recall a single thing. I do stand with her because as soon as I go back in she follows me back in the house.

·
Administrator
14,206 Posts
Some dogs can get a little neurotic about small details we humans don’t notice. I would go out there and play for a bit. Jostle the pee out of her while also showing her it’s a safe place.

I have a friend whose poodle mix will only eat out of a specific dish and only from a specific side. It’s a slippery slope when you start accommodating this stuff, but it’s also important to respect whatever is motivating those preferences as you gently push back. I find it hard to remember this sometimes, but our dogs aren’t ever difficult just for the heck of it. They aren’t trying to drive us nuts. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some dogs can get a little neurotic about small details we humans don’t notice. I would go out there and play for a bit. Jostle the pee out of her while also showing her it’s a safe place.

I have a friend whose poodle mix will only eat out of a specific dish and only from a specific side. It’s a slippery slope when you start accommodating this stuff, but it’s also important to respect whatever is motivating those preferences as you gently push back. I find it hard to remember this sometimes, but our dogs aren’t ever difficult just for the heck of it. They aren’t trying to drive us nuts. :LOL:
I suppose she isn't doing it on purpose. She is darling in every respect but this definitely drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
15,030 Posts
It could simply be that she has decided that is the correct place for the afternoon pee - it has become part of her routine and she likes a regular schedule. I'd try mixing things up a little - a quick leash walk some days, a game in the garden others - so the afternoon time outside becomes fun and just a little surprising. Any time she does pee where you want her to have a party. There should be time to change the habit before winter comes!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Not long after they turned 1y old, Remo simply stopped peeing in the backyard before bed, only then. He held it for hours longer than was healthy.

Fortunately, like you, I found that he would if I took him to the trees on the sidewalk in front of the house.
I kept trying with the backyard first, then to the front as a necessity.

This was over a 3-4 week period. One night after our tree-watering excursion out front then back inside, Remo went to the back door on his own and looked longingly out. I thought he wanted a ball he'd left out there.

To my surprise, he went and peed. On the grass. Without prompting. A few days later it was a non-issue.

I've no idea why it started or stopped. I'm always out with them and saw and heard nothing to cause this.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could simply be that she has decided that is the correct place for the afternoon pee - it has become part of her routine and she likes a regular schedule. I'd try mixing things up a little - a quick leash walk some days, a game in the garden others - so the afternoon time outside becomes fun and just a little surprising. Any time she does pee where you want her to have a party. There should be time to change the habit before winter comes!
I tried something different today to take away her stress of having to perform 🤭. I went into the garden with a ball and played a bit of fetch. After a while I asked her to go toilet and she hesitated for a few minutes but then she went......yay!!!! So then I praised her lots and played a bit more fetch before going in.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I tried something different today to take away her stress of having to perform 🤭. I went into the garden with a ball and played a bit of fetch. After a while I asked her to go toilet and she hesitated for a few minutes but then she went......yay!!!! So then I praised her lots and played a bit more fetch before going in.
Smart idea to change the routine.

Reactions: cowpony
1 - 15 of 15 Posts