Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when Teddy gets worked up which is usually at night he gets bity during play. Is that something he will grow out of? Usually after we drain some energy he gets something to work on chewing/licking wise. But during play the trying to bite I don’t like. He’s 6 1/2 months. Is this normal?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He gets out of crate at 9:30. He’s in the crate 8:30-9:30 so I can get housework done kitchen cleaned..children. Then 9:30-10:30 we burn some energy does chew stuff has a small snack(he gets acid tummy) brushed then crate at 10:30 sometimes it’s 10.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
That sounds very normal. But it doesn't mean you should let him rehearse that behaviour.

I don't think you need to be burning his energy/playing so close to bedtime. That's when he should be winding down and practising calm, getting ready for slumber. Dim lights, calm energy, that sort of thing.

As a general rule, if an activity is causing Teddy to do things he doesn't normally do (or to forget manners he demonstrates nicely the rest of the time) you want to stop doing that thing.

As long as he has a chance to "zoom and poop" at some point in the evening, it's okay to teach him that it's relaxation time now until bed.

Peggy was just wandering around looking for something to do and decided grabbing a sharp bottle cap was a good idea. Uh oh. Daytime Peggy knows better! So I took her outside to make sure she wasn't restless because she needed to pee or poop, and now she's in her pen and will probably sleep until crate time.

If I'd not put her in her pen, she'd probably have made more bad decisions, kind of like Teddy's evening biting.

Think of him like a toddler: Do you get a tired toddler hyped up and wired before bedtime? Would that go well? I'm not a mom, but I'm guessing no. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Galen definitely gets bitey when he is over excited or over tired. Pogo and Snarky were the same; they got better with maturity. I can already see improvements in Galen as he gets older.

I agree you don't want to rehearse the bitey behavior. I disagree a bit that before bed is a bad time to play. If the demands of work and children mean that before bed is the only time you have to let the puppy play hard, then that's what you have. However, once you teach the dog to expect a romp at night, you will be stuck giving a romp at night.

Early evening is when Galen starts mugging the cat (and Pogo, when Pogo was feeling ill.) Since I'm working from home, I've got Galen into a pattern where he goes into his crate for a nap after breakfast and again after lunch. These naps help him keep a little less insanely tired in the evening.

At the point when Galen starts teasing the cat I take him outside. When Pogo was still alive I'd play fetch with both of them. Pogo insisted on using the same ball throughout the session, so keeping track of turns and the correct ball gave Galen a little bit of discipline and mental exercise.

Now that Pogo is gone I'm using the flirt pole much more. Being able to tackle the toy and play tug with me is giving him some of the same outlet he used to get when wrestling with Pogo. Since the flirt pole is five feet long, my body is nowhere near the toy. Therefore, he is not rehearsing the behavior of biting me.

I practice revving him up and calming him down during the game. He's obviously very excited while he's chasing the toy. After he catches it he does his victory dance and parade. I simply walk along calmly behind. Eventually I just stop moving. I let him tug without giving him any response. He tugs a bit more and then flops down in the grass and releases the toy. Once I decide he's sufficiently calm I start moving the toy and inviting him to chase it again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s teddys zoomie time. Always has been. I do correct when he does this behavior we stop play. Basement his behavior isn’t great. Not sure if it’s because it’s a new space and he knows it’s a run/fun zone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts