Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have now Choco for a month, he is almost 14 weeks old. I walk him around an hour daily, play with him at home for some considerable time, until i personally can’t take my breath :)
The thing i want to ask about, is that almost daily he has two cycles of really hyper activity, where he starts biting all his toys aggressively, running like crazy, and also biting me and my kids; i can’t tell by myself if he is playing or not, but sometimes it feels to me he is not and very serious in biting and you can’t stop him. I tried to exhaust him and it doesn’t work. I tried getting him those rubber bones to discharge his biting power, he spend considerable time with them but also he comes back to this hyper activity with us ( and he bites while in it). He understands the NO when i say it , he stopes for a while then come back to biting and craziness.

Choco is very cute and nice and i dont think he has any social problems, but at the same time- since i am a beginner here- i am not sure if this is a normal behavior and it will go with time after the puppy age, or it is something i need to deal differently with it.

appreciate your help and advices :)

715832F5-1400-4153-A04F-602476687B65.jpeg

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
General rule of thumb is about 5 min of walk 2x per day per month of age. At 3 months, that would be 2 15 min walks.

I found with my spoo that a tired puppy was NoT a good puppy. A tired puppy was an annoying bitey jumpy crazy puppy with no self control. Enforced naps and crate time at that age are really valuable- young puppies need something like 18-20 hrs of sleep every day.

I would try putting him in a crate at the times of day he is normally crazy and we if that helps. If you don't have a crate, a quiet room baby gated off, or tieing his leash to a chair leg and ignoring him might work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
General rule of thumb is about 5 min of walk 2x per day per month of age. At 3 months, that would be 2 15 min walks.

I found with my spoo that a tired puppy was NoT a good puppy. A tired puppy was an annoying bitey jumpy crazy puppy with no self control. Enforced naps and crate time at that age are really valuable- young puppies need something like 18-20 hrs of sleep every day.

I would try putting him in a crate at the times of day he is normally crazy and we if that helps. If you don't have a crate, a quiet room baby gated off, or tieing his leash to a chair leg and ignoring him might work.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, he sleeps also pretty much well, and unfortunately i am still trying to crate him but i am not successful till now, he was about to break his leg from jumping and crying when i tried earlier. In all cases, i will try to focus more on his sleeping and naps as you advised

·
Premium Member
23,582 Posts
You need to do a lot less mindless walking and probably also a lot less play coupled to a lot more and I mean a lot more short training sessions. There should be at least 4-5 training sessions that last only about 3 to 5 minutes. You should incorporate your human kids in the training. Start with you teaching him to sit in the kitchen and feed him from his daily kibble ration. Once he sits in the kitchen work on variations (one new theme at a time) to include giving the sit order from further away (distance) and then add longer sit stays (duration). Once he can do that for you reliably in the kitchen without you being like a pez dispenser then have your kids work on the sit in the kitchen starting at the beginning. Once he sits for the kids with all of the steps then you go to the living room and repeat the whole process, then your kids. Then move onto someone's bedroom and repeat and move again and repeat.

If you think about your kids and their learning most don't learn in one sitting and most don't learn in all locations. Some teachers are fabulous and others not so much but teachers get better with practice. Once you really challenge your little humans they want a nap. Once you make a habit out of really challenging your pup he will want nice naps to dream about and remember all he has learned.

For both people and dogs the brain is a much bigger burner of energy than muscles so make your little baby dog think and he will develop impulse control and he will gradually not want to be crazy he will want to be tuned into learning from all of you. Be patient and consistent and you will succeed and your little humans will develop a great lifelong appreciation of all dogs, not just the crazy puppy they had when they were young.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts