Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dutch has a birthmark on his tongue??? The first time I saw it I thought it was a leaf, but it never went away. It is on the underside of his tongue. Has anyone heard of this? I hope it isnt cancer or something!!!!!! I need to point it out to the vet next time we are in.:questionmark::questionmark::questionmark:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I know dog's can get spots in the mouth similar to a birthmark. Howie's gums are spotted black... but he isn't a poodle. I see dogs in for grooming that have spots on the tounge, some people assume that means they have chow in them, which isnt true. I beleive any dog can have spots, it's just that chows are required to have the blue/black tounge.

If it makes you nervous most definitly point it out to your vet though, better safe than sorry right.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've seen it pretty often too, on all sorts of dogs. I just think of them as tongue freckles. Not sure if I've ever seen it on a poo before though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Our Malamute had a big blue spot on his tongue. We just figured it gave him character.
Wonder what would have happened in the show ring with that though?
We started showing and then found it all political noncence for us so abandanded that quickly

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to show him(which I dont think I am) you wouldnt even know he had it. It is on the underside and is only visible when he licks his chops.:sheep:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Lots of dogs have it, some breeds more then others like GSD, Labs, Goldens ect.. never seen one in a Poodle though.

Did a Google search and found this:
"Spots on tongues are simply deposits of extra pigment, like birthmarks and freckles on people. Dogs often have spots of dark pigment on their skin, too, hiding under their coats. These spots can be large or small, many or few."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts