Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Sailor made it to his 14th birthday. He wasn't any too fond of his hat, so I only made him wear it for the photo. Other than the ear debacle, he has had a pretty good year. He is very proud of himself because he can still make Nike roll over and Wilson run away. There are days when they can not scramble out of his way fast enough. Most days though, he still likes to play bitey face, followed by a nap in the sun. He is delighted that his kid lives at home again, and finds the antics of little Stellaluna to be very entertaining. Life is good. Dec.26-29, 2019 002.JPG Dec.21.2019.114.jpg

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Aww, Happy Birthday, darling Sailor! I hope mine have as wonderful and long a life as you. What a precious picture with your kid.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
Happy birthday Sailor. Hope you & family have a great day.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Happy birthday to a great Sailor. You look spiffy in your birthday hat.

·
Registered
732 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sailor! I've loved your pictures over the years and like MF said I too can only hope my poods live such a wonderful, long life. You were one of the first poodles I saw here on PF when I was still a lurker, and I've learned so much from your Mama. Hope you had a great day! :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Happy birthday, Sailor!

From Navy

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Happy 14th birthday Sailor!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dechi, Sailor's long life is probably a combination of a lot of things and some luck thrown in, too. He did therapy work until he was 12 years old, and he loved it. When he was younger I used to take him several days a week to different venues, but for the last few years we just did reading at the high school. He was trained to respond to hand signals and would place his head on knees or laps, so it appeared that he was reading along with the students. The teens laughed when he would place his head over the paragraph they were supposed to be reading... they could exclaim that the dog's blocking my reading! They made sure to tell him what a "good boy" he was, when he did that! Sailor became very accurate at predicting student meltdowns before they happened. The teachers liked having a heads up that a particular kid was heading for a bad day. We worked at the high school for eight years, and even the school psychologist knew to request Sailor's aid when someone was inconsolable about one of the many dramas that go on in high school. A few minutes rubbing Sailor's soft, wavy coat, and his attentive head rubs would calm those(usually) girls right down. Honestly, though, I think having a job was what kept him happy. Remember that old anti-drug commercial that used to say a mind was a terrible thing to waste? Well, I think with poodles, it is very important that they have a purpose, and that their smart brains are not allowed to wither.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Belated happy birthday, beautiful boy! Missed this amongst all the changes...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts