Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dianne and I took Billy out in my field to work him as if he were in a real show. This was good practice for me and I did much better tonight in keeping a good gait with him. He is not very motivated but we finally hit on what the problem was and what to do to counteract it.

Billy hates the chocker! We took it off finally and I used the bait to get him excited and we did runs back and forth with him holding his head up and trotting pretty good beside me. Each time we stopped, he got lots of hugs and a piece of the bait. After he was consistantly doing well with that, we put the chocker back on but this time we just clipped the two rings onto the lead. I showed him the bait and got his attention and off we went. This time no pulling on the lead and no chocking. He is improving and so am I.

We will be doing one more clip on him either tomorrow or Saturday to get some better lines.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
He looks much happier ! , what did you guys use to bait him ? if you get some boild liver I bet he will go crazy for it lol

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used some fake meat stuff that i don't like to use. I am going to boil some chicken in the morning for him but when I get downtown again, I am going to get some liver and boil that.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I used some fake meat stuff that i don't like to use. I am going to boil some chicken in the morning for him but when I get downtown again, I am going to get some liver and boil that.
There is a liver cake recipe in my handling book , I am going to make some soon

you guys should try this and see if it works

1lb. fresh beef or pork liver
3/4 cup flour
1-2 heaping teaspoons of garlic powder
3/4 cup fine cornmeal
2-3 eggs

1. wash liver and remove the skin and large veins.
2. liquefy in heavy-duty blender.
3. add the remaining ingredients and blend.
4. pour mixture onto 8x8 inch greased baking pain.
5.bake in preheated 350 degree oven approx 20-30min test like you would brownies.
6. remove from the oven cut in 2 inch squares allow to coll.
7. refrigerate required amount in the meat compartment
8. wrap surplus in foil and freeze: thaw as needed.
9use sparingly
10. keep this recipe to your self ( lol it says this in the book)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yummmm my guys love liver... stinks to make it though ROFL.

He's looking so handsome :) Very nice, almost ready huh ? A side note on handling, is that when you're running with the dog watch you're free arm. Use it to balance of course but keep kinda closer in with your body. You don't want to be diracted from a pretty gait by the handler's arm waving around while they run. Thats the first thing I noticed in that top picture. I used to be video'd and photographed in practice and at shows to help me see myself moving and stacking and such. I competed in JR Showmanship for years though so it got drilled into me over and over and over again ... economy of motion!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
He looks really good SS! I agree with WP but you are doing great! Also, I wanted to point out the placement of the lead, you really want to try to keep it to the right side it will have less of a chance at breaking your spray up, are you doing AKC or UKC? The spray up for AKC would make a diff in the placement of the lead, UKC I am not sure since no hairspray. If it is AKC, don't do what i did and forget to put the lead on BEFORE you do the spray up LOL! That cost me time because had to redo the spray up for placement. Also, just a pointer, if you are AKC showing, try not to touch him in areas that are not shaved, it will produce oils and make the coat curl again, I learned that the hard way as well lol. He is a beautiful guy, I know you are going to have fun!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roxy, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it.

Wonderpup, Thank you for pointing that out. I still feel awkward about how I am supposed to look so that is why the practice in the morning and evening for us. I will watch that arm. I'm sure it doesn't look pretty flailing around out there!! LOL

P4P, We learned about putting the lead on first by a person who showed at a show we attended just for learning. The reason it is not on properly is because Billy was very upset with the choke tightening up on his neck. It took us a while to figure out what motivated him to run properly and look happy so that was our compromise in the meantime. It will be put on before the his spray up (we are showing AKC) and it will be on the right side behind his ear where it should be.

We are doing his last trim either today or tomorrow so there will be no fresh cuts on him on Friday. Our problem with the curl is that we are using the best people dryers we could find. They actually stand him out correctly but after several hours he starts to curl back. A good pro dryer is on our list but not within our means right yet.

We're going to go with what we have and really enjoy our day and make it a bit fat fun time for Billy so that he will enjoy it. I'm just excited to be getting him and myself into the show ring. Whether he does anything or not doesn't matter because I am so very proud of him.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
P4P, We learned about putting the lead on first by a person who showed at a show we attended just for learning. The reason it is not on properly is because Billy was very upset with the choke tightening up on his neck. It took us a while to figure out what motivated him to run properly and look happy so that was our compromise in the meantime. It will be put on before the his spray up (we are showing AKC) and it will be on the right side behind his ear where it should be.

We're going to go with what we have and really enjoy our day and make it a bit fat fun time for Billy so that he will enjoy it. I'm just excited to be getting him and myself into the show ring. Whether he does anything or not doesn't matter because I am so very proud of him.
Great, I was not sure of all that when I first went in the ring, and I did forget to put the lead on before the spray up lol, I am glad you had someone who could help you at a show! you have the right attitude about just get in there and have fun! I was SOOOOO nervous at my first show that I thought I would be shaking out of my shoes, then we got in the ring and lol, everything happen so fast that I was like You mean thats it! LOL!!! Good luck and you are doing a great job!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahahahaha....Dianne just told me there is something like 20 + dogs entered in both of the shows I signed up for!!!!! YIPES! When I checked last years stats, there were only a handful in each. OMG! We may be overwhelmed. Now, I just hope Billy behaves himself and goes around the ring properly and doesn't get too nervous with all the distraction.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
ahahahaha....Dianne just told me there is something like 20 + dogs entered in both of the shows I signed up for!!!!! YIPES! When I checked last years stats, there were only a handful in each. OMG! We may be overwhelmed. Now, I just hope Billy behaves himself and goes around the ring properly and doesn't get too nervous with all the distraction.

Well being nervous is just something that will happen for awhile. I have been told from handler's that you should have a mint ready to suck on when you go in the ring. The emotions you feel go right down the lead to your dog and can make him act uncertain and nervous as well.

Maybe try it if Billy is unsure the second show. Either way its just for fun and you'll have a good time either way. Post pics if you take any and let us know how it went. Good job on Billy!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the mint just to help relax me? I've never hear that but I'll be sure to bring some with me.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The mint is used to mask the smell of Adrenaline on your breath. Even a slight case of the jitters is enough to get your adrenaline going and the dog's can smell it. They maybe don't know what it means but they do know that you are acting odd and smell different. So it can make them jittery as well :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
gum works just as well, though DON'T smack it in the ring, in fact I'm not even sure I would even chew on it in the ring - which I suppose defeats the purpose of gum lol.
I started into the juniors ring as a teenager one time popping gum and the steward (who knew me pretty well) poped me in the back of the head... stupid kid spit that out! LoL. Thankgod she did, cause I won that day and the judge jumped a friend of mine for blowing a bubble with his gum... Never chewed gum at a show again to be honest though for some reason I ALWAY pack some?? Go figure.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL I'll bet you were a bit surprised to get a smack in the back of the head. LOL

I love gum and have been chewing it since I was a kid. But, I wouldn't chew it in the ring even if I could. Chewing can be unattractive and it just seems like an unprofessional thing to do. I'll stick with the mint.

·
Registered
151 Posts
LOL I'll bet you were a bit surprised to get a smack in the back of the head. LOL

I love gum and have been chewing it since I was a kid. But, I wouldn't chew it in the ring even if I could. Chewing can be unattractive and it just seems like an unprofessional thing to do. I'll stick with the mint.
Or worse, you get nervous and forget you're chewing it, it falls out into Billy's hair, judge goes to feel him over... oh yeah that could go over well. Lol that's what I'd worry about, knowing my luck it's exactly how it would go down too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts