Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got busy getting Billy all spiffed up for his first obedience class tonight. I'm really excited to be getting started. I am going two hours early so I can talk to the handling instructor. I want an evaluation on whether they think Billy can be worked with for the proper attitude in the conformation ring. If they think it will work, I will start growing out his continental again.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Well now, I'm sure the ladies will fall at his glorious feet! He's positively majestic. Heck, I've fallen for him!! Anxious to hear if he's a go for the conformation ring, I'll check back.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHEW! Long night!! Billy did very well in our trial conformation class. I need work...LOL He went right off with my instructor, Gloria, so she could show me how to handle him. He did everything she asked of him. She showed me some tricks to get him happy and showing expression as they worked! I tried it but was a bit awkward.

The important thing is that I am putting him back into pattern and growing him out for the conformation ring. When he is finished with his obedience class, I will enroll him and myself into the six-week handling class.

We had an hour rest and then the obedience class began. Billy did very well tonight. He was the only dog who was quiet but interested in the others...no barking or silliness, jumping, and so no. He just sat with me and watched the others and wagged his tail. He did his sit, down, and stand well. I have homework for the week...LOL I should say we have homework for the week. Gloria liked Billy so much, she used him to show the others how to work with their dogs.

I'm so proud of Billy and am having so much fun working with him... I can't wait to go back next week.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
He looks fantastic! Glad to hear he's the teacher's pet too. LOL

BTW, who is Brandy? Is she a new addition or have I just not been paying attention?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brandy is our 6-year-old Golden Retriever. She does not have the manners of our spoos and is sort of the bad girl in the house. Definitely not as smart as the spoos!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Ah, I see. When I was growing up, our next door neighbors had a black lab called Brandy. I can still remember smelling her puppy breath--it was the first time I had ever smelled it and I loved it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I am so excited for you and Billy! Good work. Billy is a beautiful boy and I wish you all the best (in shows) with your handling classes.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Good luck!!!! the more you work t it the better it will get i'm sure. expression is something you CAN train- friend has a JRT who won't put her tial up in the ring lst year- just stressed.... she clicker trained it and voila dog hsa that tail up and is much more positive in the ring this season

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck!!!! the more you work t it the better it will get i'm sure. expression is something you CAN train- friend has a JRT who won't put her tial up in the ring lst year- just stressed.... she clicker trained it and voila dog hsa that tail up and is much more positive in the ring this season
That's great news and encouraging. Good for your friend! Since it will take a year to grow Billy's continental back, I have a lot of time to work on things.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That's great news! It's always good to know that something you really want is possible, and it's even better to have a plan of how to get it! She sounds like a good instructor.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yea, Billy ! Maybe Billy just needed to shed his coat to show what he is made of :). Sounds like he has great potential in the ring. It must be very rewarding that the instructor affirmed your belief that he could/will be successful in conformation. Look forward to witnessing his journey.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Soopspirit, hats off to Billy and you!! How very exciting to have the outstanding member of the class as your very own! It's wonderful to see such a worthy poodle with such a dedicated guardian! Your devotion to helping him be the best he can be is heartwarming and inspiring. My husband and I have house guests this week and we're traveling next week, but when we get back I'm signing Chagall up for a formal obedience class. I have been training him at home, with the help of a hired trainer, but it's time for me to open up his world more with distractions and challenges. Also, I want to show him off to others! He's my "Einstein" and "Romeo" rolled into one!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Billy looks great. I'm glad to hear you will be working him back towards conformation as well as in obedience. It's so fun getting our poodle's brains working!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Soopspirit, hats off to Billy and you!! How very exciting to have the outstanding member of the class as your very own! It's wonderful to see such a worthy poodle with such a dedicated guardian! Your devotion to helping him be the best he can be is heartwarming and inspiring. My husband and I have house guests this week and we're traveling next week, but when we get back I'm signing Chagall up for a formal obedience class. I have been training him at home, with the help of a hired trainer, but it's time for me to open up his world more with distractions and challenges. Also, I want to show him off to others! He's my "Einstein" and "Romeo" rolled into one!!!
Thank you very much! He is my heart dog for sure!!

I'm so happy to hear that you too will be going to obedience class with Chagall. It is such a different atmosphere with all sorts of distractions to challenge both the dog and the handler. We can all only be better for this! Best of luck to both of you in your training.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts