Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Dianne and I bathed, blew dry, and trimmed Billy up last night and got to bed about midnight. Got back up at 3:30 a.m. for my own shower then bathed Billy again so Dianne and I could blow him out for the show before leaving home.

The show was in Topsfield, MA, 3 hours away and his ring time was 11:15 a.m. I just love GARMIN!! Got there with no problem but not much time for getting settled in.

Billy was so good on his ride down but he started drooling when we got him settled inside the arena. He just wasn't sure about all of this new stuff going on and the noise. No time to worry about it though. Had to get all his bands out and spray him up and do a few snips here and there to straighten him out.

Off to the ring we went and voila! we are the only ones in his class of 6-9 months! Oh, boy! I thought we were going to have a few dogs in front of us so I could watch them and feel a little more comfortable about Billy in the ring. The judge was supper nice and talked to me about just taking Billy around the ring and making it really fun for him and not to worry about anything else. We did really well for both of us being novices. Billy was still uncomfortable so he didn't keep his head up or his tail the first time in.

He won a blue by default! LOL I'm still proud of that because the judged didn't have to give us anything. The best thing is that I am so proud of him for facing his insecurities and doing what was asked of him.

Our second time in the ring with the older puppies, he was more confident and actually had his head and tail up. We didn't place but that didn't matter. We both learned a lot today. We hung out and walked around to let Billy get comfortable with that environment. By the time we left, he was greeting other dogs with his head up and tail wagging.

Dianne and I talked to the judge later in the day and to a woman who handled for 60 years. They both said that Billy has the potential to finish but he needs to gain his confidence. That we will be working on. We were actually complimented by the elderly handler on our grooming job!!

Billy will be in his second show next Friday in New York.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dianne could have told me she was taking this one. Look how dumpy I look!! LOL But Billy looks great!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Congrats, done well. Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

And you dont look dumpy, you look good. Billy looks very nice too.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yep, was a long two days but well worth it! I'm proud of both Deb & Billy. Deb showed VERY well for her first time in. I remember my first time in the ring years back, and I didn't have anyone to help out or teach me anything...lol... had to do all the learning and doing on my own, certainly would have loved to have someone helping me out an standing outside the ring when I did, but I loved it anyway, so I know how Deb had to have felt. :)

LOL.. we took two weeks to get him groomed right. Pooooor Billy, he had so many baths and blow dryings. But we had to work on it slowly, taking off a bit all over his body, then seeing how it was with photos and doing him over again. As you all know, you can't put hair back on once you cut it off... lol... and thus we wanted to be sure we didn't take off what we shouldn't have. But, I can say now, we are both much more confident on doing the clipping now.

Billy's sister, Grace, will go in the ring sometime in the winter after her coat grows out fully in the continental. That will be fun for both of us to go to a show together with our spoos! AND, wow is Deb's little girl, Taffy, growing into one stunning little girl, really looking forward to seeing her in the ring. Her new coat coming in under her lighter, orangy apricot coat is a deep, beautiful red color.

Poodles are such wonderful dogs, we both just love their looks, personalities and flexibility. The best breed of dog out there!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, my apologizes, jester's mom. I should have thanked you in my first post for all of the hard work and time you have put into Billy and I to make this a successful day for all of us. It is because of your mentoring that I was able to enter the ring with a green dog and green myself and feel confident that I could do it!!! Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yes, my apologizes, jester's mom. I should have thanked you in my first post for all of the hard work and time you have put into Billy and I to make this a successful day for all of us. It is because of your mentoring that I was able to enter the ring with a green dog and green myself and feel confident that I could do it!!! Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
You Goof! I didn't write that for you to say anything to me...lol. I was stating my thoughts on our "outing". You're welcome but you already thanked me, you did not have to do it on the forum..lol. You nut! (and, yes, I can get away with calling my sister a goof and nut. :) :) )

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
OMG, you guys looked great out there!!!

In the pic with the other dogs he is stacked well and you dont at all look like novice dog or handler. You did a great job, CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm so glad you had such a positive experience at your first show. Billy looks great and you look like you know what you're doing. Most importantly, you both look like you're having fun.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing how you do next week.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow great job, Billy looks so smart and handsome in the ring with other spoos. You both certainly looked like you knew what you were doing. And you'll both easily get more confidence the more you go out :D Congrats on a fun weekend. you certainly earned it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulation! Billy looks awesome! It's always so nice to hear positive stories about showing. I'm so glad I found this forum.
Thank you!

I know about the horror stories. I've heard them too. But, we were fortunate in that everyone who realized we were new were kind to us and offered us advice on how to show. One woman with a beautiful white in continental approached me and told me to hold Billy's head up while we were standing around waiting to encourage him to keep it up. She also told me and showed me how she encourages her dogs to keep their tails up. It felt really good to have people take an interest in us newbies.

Another gentleman handler talked to Dianne at length as well while waiting to go into the ring with his dog. He was all smiles and really sweet!

I guess we either got very lucky or it's just a small percentage of the people who generate the biggest stories of snobbishness.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Glad you got some good advice, and met some nice people. Thats refreshing. Might be wise not to let another handler "help" you groom though. Have them tell you what they think you should do rather than actualy do it for you if you know what I mean. I'm not sure about "poodle people" but "terrier people' are NUTS and will gladly strip all the hair off the top of your dogs head knowing it'll take FOREVER to grow back... (and uhhh yup thats a TRUE STORY!! and we spend 10 months repairing the damage lol. It was my first cairn too, so it really sucked not to be able to take him in the ring, not even juniors because his head was so messed up.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, gosh, Wonderpup, that was a horrible thing for them to do!! :mad: Thank you for that advice. I would never let someone else start clipping at my dogs. I would be scared to death that that same thing would happen to us as happened to you whether on purpose or not.

It never fails to shock me the extent people will go to hurt others' chances at a show.

We were offered a lot of advice but no one even attempted to pet Billy.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That is great , Like Jenn said Billy was stack great you guys did not look like a novice. Glad you had a positive experience for your first show :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts