Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galen is thrilled to be (almost) a big dog now. He can run up and down stairs (almost always) without tumbling down them. He can (almost) keep up with Pogo when running. He can (almost) see what's on the kitchen counter when he puts his front paws up n the edge.

Alas, nobody told him that being a big dog would ruin playing with the cat. We have some rattan chairs with a woven decorative apron. The cat has discovered that he can get under the chair, but Galen can't. Galen thinks this is totally Not Fair. The cat just hangs out under the chair, peering out from behind the wicker, Not Playing. Stupid Cat!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Zephyr's Not Fair is when the cat goes through his little cat door into the basement. Part of it is that he WILL NOT go down in the basement himself. All my other dogs have run up and down the stairs quite happily, but Zephyr WILL NOT go down there. He says there is something creepy down there. So it really drives him nuts when the cat goes through his little door and disappears down there (there is a cat door with a flap cut into the door to the basement).

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zephyr's Not Fair is when the cat goes through his little cat door into the basement. Part of it is that he WILL NOT go down in the basement himself. All my other dogs have run up and down the stairs quite happily, but Zephyr WILL NOT go down there. He says there is something creepy down there. So it really drives him nuts when the cat goes through his little door and disappears down there (there is a cat door with a flap cut into the door to the basement).
Snarky used to be scared of our cellar too. After several years I finally decided enough was enough and coaxed him to venture down the steps. He was so delighted and proud of himself. He ran up and down, gleefully showing me he could do it. It was very cute.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Being scared of the basement happens to other dogs too! Javelin will be happy to hear that. He has been terrified of the basement since I carried him down there once when he was maybe 4 months old. I never put him down, but wow he really doesn't think it is a place to be for anyone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ah my spoo will be happy to hear that it isn’t just her! She doesn’t mind going to the basement but she will not set foot in the scary laundry room. It’s so weird because she’ll walk past it to go into the rec room or my office....but she’ll avoid the door like it’s on fire.

There is no amount of treats or coaxing that will get her to go into it but I don’t get it because she’s not scared of the washer or dryer (she sleeps next to them even if they’re turned on at my parents/friends houses) or the vacuum/ride on lawnmower/weed wacker or anything else that’s noisy...just that room. Maybe it was because the door was always closed when she was a puppy? Who knows. But it sure works because the cat litter is now in there because she won’t go in the room 😂🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Sophy dislikes going from light to dark, especially into anything that looks like a tunnel. It is a sensible fear, as it prevents her investigating rabbit holes and other dangerous places.

Reactions: cowpony
1 - 7 of 7 Posts