Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went hiking today with my dogs and a few friends and it was wonderful, I ran into an elderly gentleman who had a black standard poodle, and he was a Giant! The nice gentleman informed me that Yes, he was a pure poodle and that he was just the odd one out of the litter. He was the runt and turned into this 32" (yes 32") monster, he was lovely and very well behaved, but it got me thinking how easy would it be to get another poodle of a similar size, my husband is less that over joyed at my new found love in the breed, he prefers great danes, and when he saw this dog(Oliver) the idea of a spoo didnt seem so aweful to him.

Oh how i wish i had got a photo, he was in a German clip, and just... gosh breath taking!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
He must have been amazing,

There is a black standard in Clyde (where our holiday house is) and he is the same. I think he was the runt also.
When I first saw him, I couldn't believe it, just HUGE!!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
It might look great but standard poodles are not supposed to be this big.
A spoo this tall would likely be prone to many health problems down the road.

Great Danes are beautiful dogs.
A friend of mine is obsessed with the breed,but sadly they die quite young.
He has had many and the oldest lived to be 7 years.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Yikes! At 32" I hope he has had a prophylactic gastropexy done. That is just bloat waiting to happen.

Even though we technically have no outside height limit in our standard, that dog is seriously over-sized and will probably have health issues because of it.

On top of this, a dog that size is simply less athletic than a more typically sized poodle. I would be willing to guess that my 21".... 35 lbs Standard bitch can run faster, jump higher and jog longer than a poodle that size.

You need to explain to your husband that bigger is not better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would just like to say that I am not so sure about all these comments.
I go to another board and their are a few poodles that are quite large and over 80 lbs
I don't recall reading health issues other then regular aging.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I believe I have heard larger than normal Standard Poodles called "Royal Standard Poodles" here is one website I found: http://www.redroyalstandards.com/

It doesn't seem to be an official name but that might be a way of finding one.

The problem with breeding dogs bigger (or even smaller) it can lead to health issues. You can find people selling King Shepherds, basically a HUGE German Shepherd weighing at around 120lbs etc... or giant alaskan malamutes and while they are beautiful you are going to run into problems later on it's almost impossible to avoid.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't look for one but just be aware of the possibility.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A "Royal" poodle is no different then a "Tea Cup" Poodle; its just a marketing ploy to make people want over sized dogs.

I groom a couple of "royal" standards and they are sway backed, have bad hips/elbows and ear problems.

Anyhoo, big dogs are great but get one thats suppose to be that big ;)

It would have been a site I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well my female Standard is about 55lbs and she is bigger then her half brother. I would say for a large Standard no more 65/70lbs. I would make sure the sire and dame passed hips and elbows with flying clolors.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think royal standard poodles developed from the french name for standard poodles, 'Caniche Royale', which literally translates to 'Royal Poodle'.

Miniature: Caniche Moyen - Medium Poodle

Toy: Caniche Nain - Dwarf Poodle

And thus it has developed into a marketing ploy along with the 'Tea-cup' as smaller toys were likened to a teacup

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I would avoid any breeder that breeds specifically for a bigger size. If you really want a larger Poodle, you will have to put the word out with reputable breeders and hope they get a larger puppy as a fluke. However, you mentioned that this dog had been the runt (someone else mentioned a similar experience) so it may be very difficult for a breeder to know whether a pup is going to be big or not.

I think your best bet is to check into rescue! The dogs are usually full grown or close too it, so you will be able to see their adult size. You can also get some idea of certain health problems at that age. Check out petfinder and put in some application with different poodle rescues. Ask them to contact you when they get a larger dog.

I just searched and came up with several in the North West US. Not sure what part of Canada you're in but you should check it out. If you're open to Poodle mixes all the better.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If your husband doesnt like the idea of a poodle sometimes you can find labradoodles and goldendoodles through rescue as well or you can also go through a breeder. I've seen some pretty huge labradoodles.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I thought I remembered ginger's grandfather at the leatherstocking kennels to be very large - in fact I was worried that Ginger would be too big but she isnt. What do you think Spoospirit - was he as big as I remember from 4 years ago lol

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If your husband doesnt like the idea of a poodle sometimes you can find labradoodles and goldendoodles through rescue as well or you can also go through a breeder. I've seen some pretty huge labradoodles.
But the Doodles do not have the same great temperament as Standard Poodles. I live in an area where Doodles are very popular and I find them hyper, impulsive and generally lacking doggie social skills (they don't seem to read other dogs well). Oh and the ones I've seen are generally not good off leash. They tend to take off.

As far as the size of a well bred poodle, you will not typically find a bitch over 24" and most of your boys will be around 25"-26". There are aberrations. My Sabrina's breeder was showing a boy this last weekend who is 28". He is nice and she will finish him, but I doubt anyone will ever breed to him because breeders don't want dogs that large.

And that is the problem with trying to get a really big dog. Good breeders don't breed for them and it is hard to tell at 8 weeks if a puppy will go oversized. The above dog's sire was only 24.5"

There are some dogs and lines that are known for producing larger poodles. The ones that come to mind are:
Dawin Poodles
Poodles sired by Barbican Filagree Future
and this breeder has a large boy she is breeding http://www.luminarystandardpoodles.com/page41.html

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have to agree about the large poodles. I agree they are striking (as long as they are not sway back and overweight like most ive seen) and beautiful! But, they are not what a poodle should be. My boy is 28 1/2" and 73lbs. He is big for a poodle. He came from a nice breeder who wasnt breeding for height. He just turned out big, but he is nicely perportioned. I think Riley is beautiful and a nice looking dog, but i will go for a smaller standard next time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I thought I remembered ginger's grandfather at the leatherstocking kennels to be very large - in fact I was worried that Ginger would be too big but she isnt. What do you think Spoospirit - was he as big as I remember from 4 years ago lol
Who is Ginger's grandfather? I have to say, most of the one's we saw were standard sized. Kismet was the largest that we saw and he was a good size boy but not overly large, I believe he was 27" and 75lbs. Most of the others we saw were in the 24" - 26" range and I would think between 50 - 65lbs. They all were solid boned though, not light boned, light bodied stock.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I agree with , with most have said.

Just because the standard has no height limited. I don't believe we need to go around breeding 30" plus dogs.

This is a big issue within American pit bull terriers. The standard does not give a specific height range. They do give a weight range but then it says "Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy. "

So this is why people have these now

thank god they are calling these dogs another breed and have started their own kennel club !:flute:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
that dog looks like it would be uncomfortable Roxy... though I am sure he/she is impressive to look at in person.

I have a big boy standard as well as two "royals" that I groom. The lady with the royal poodles (haha, their names are actualy royal and regal) has been breeding them. Neither is a very impressive example of the breed and the other, and larger, or the two does have joint issues. Though one cannot reasonably blame that soley on his size since he is from a BYB who never health tests anything. I owuld imagine that dogs being bred to be that over sized might be prone to some of the same health and life span issues as the giant breeds the closer that get in size to them. Why wouldn't they be?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
that dog looks like it would be uncomfortable Roxy... though I am sure he/she is impressive to look at in person.

I have a big boy standard as well as two "royals" that I groom. The lady with the royal poodles (haha, their names are actualy royal and regal) has been breeding them. Neither is a very impressive example of the breed and the other, and larger, or the two does have joint issues. Though one cannot reasonably blame that soley on his size since he is from a BYB who never health tests anything. I owuld imagine that dogs being bred to be that over sized might be prone to some of the same health and life span issues as the giant breeds the closer that get in size to them. Why wouldn't they be?

That dog is disgusting to look at ,sorry if I wanted a baby blue hippo I would have gone to the zoo lol This breed has serious health issues but Money is the root of all evil. This breed can fetch 5k plus for a puppy !

This is why they are now called American bully's this is the result of fad breeding and breeding not to standard.

All of these gimmicks " tea cup " "royal " " blue nose" red nose" is very similar.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts